Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2005

All the Angles

This morning's news tells a story about a convicted thief who escaped with his wife from a courthouse after she shot and killed one of the guards. The police finally were able to locate the couple when a cab driver reported that he had driven this couple to a budget hotel in Ohio. They told him they were going to an Amway convention, which he felt was suspect since they weren't "pushy about their product".

What a sad commentary on Americans. I would have thought their story to be very believable - Amway sales people are everywhere and from all walks of life. Going on an over 100-mile trip, across state lines, in a cab may seem a little odd to you and I, but I'm sure there are many people that would see that as ordinary.

What amazes me is that they stayed where left by the cabbie. They had been in the same hotel room for several days, eating take-out food. If you're on the run from police, running may be a good idea. They don't call in "on the stay" for a reason.

Makes me very happy to have a quiet, southern life - driving my minivan, talking with all the clerks at the grocery store, running our little errands to the bank for suckers. Once while visiting Don's parents, my father-in-law announced that he was going out to run errands. Dane begged to go with him. He kept trying to explain that he was "running errands". I finally told him that my children love running errands, so he took Dane along. When he came home, he told me that Dane had gotten candy at the florist, a sucker at the bank, and gum at the Post Office. Grandpa was amazed that Dane had made out so well. I smiled, knowingly, and reminded him that Dane loved to run errands. "He knows all the angles," I told him.

The Hyatte's certainly didn't know all the angles. Perhaps the only advantage to our poor educational system is dumber crooks.

No comments: