Search This Blog

Friday, August 05, 2005

Musically-savvy-challenged

We were coming home yesterday from getting my allergy shots (and seeing our wonderful friend, Lydia, who works at the Allergist's office - hey, Lyd!!) and I had the Christian station on the radio. We have three choices for music in the van: Deanna singing Phantom of the Opera, the Christian station, or the "Dinosaur Jones" tape. Since Deanna's gone (coming home tomorrow, though - yay!) and I'm Dinosaur Jones'd out, I opted for the Christian station. Unlike my friend, Rachel, who has boys the same ages as all my children and whose sons beg to listen to The Beattles, we're a little musically-savvy-challenged, if you couldn't already tell by our three music choices. But Rachel's father, the grandfather of these wonderful boys, now a spirit-filled Christian and Educator, was once a studio drummer who played with some of the hottest rock bands of his time. My parents, by contrast, weren't entirely sure how to spell "rock music" and listening to it was out-of-the-question (although I still managed to memorize "Knock Three Times on the Ceiling if you Want Me" - am I dating myself?). So, when I feel the need to rock, we put on "Dinosaur Jones, Dinosaur Jones, prehistoric dinosaur lives in his home. Believe me, it's true, I wouldn't lie to you ... bum, bum, bum, bum, bum (we're seriously rockin' now!!!) ... they call him Dinosaur Jones."

Ah, but I digress. We're coming home, listening to the Christian radio station and a song is playing, the chorus of which says something like, "Following you, following you, my Lord ..." We pull into the driveway and I'm unbuckling Daelyn's car seat when he says, "I don't like that song that was just playing."

Me: "Why not, son? It's a beautiful song."

Daelyn: "I don't want to swallow Jesus."

Me (laughing): "Son, the song doesn't say swallowing Jesus. It says 'following Jesus'."

Daelyn: "Oh." Looking thoughtful for a moment. "Following Jesus where?"

That is the question, isn't it? My answer took a little time, but after pondering, I quietly answered, "Wherever He wants to lead us, son."

Lord, give me a heart to follow you wherever you lead without questioning the direction. And pour out such a poor sense of direction on my children that they have to follow you unquestioningly.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Your fave rock-star.

Patti Doughty said...

I'm having to make up for my "tidbit" about DC. Glad to know you're still talking to me.