Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Pardon Me While I Brag

I'm writing today as a proud mother. My children go to a private school, Alleluia. They won't begin until after Labor Day. Today, there was a Work Party to prepare the classrooms and grounds for the upcoming school year. We went as a family. Don was assigned to electrical work and I took the three children with me.

We were asked to work in the 1st. grade classroom, which will be Dane's room this year. The teacher listed several jobs that needed to be accomplished. I jumped in and volunteered to clean the interior of the desks.

I got out rags for myself and each of the children as well as some 409. I squirted cleaner on each rag and then we all began to work. There were several other children there who were bored and either went out to the playground to play or followed their mothers around. It was hot, hot, hot and parents and children alike were struggling to work in the heat.

My three children, from the 3-yr. old up to the 8-yr. old, worked side-by-side with me with no complaints, despite the heat and boredom. When they finished one job, they'd say, "Okay, Mom, what do you want me to do next?" We worked for a solid hour cleaning out desks.

I had to leave early due to another commitment. As I was gathering my supplies, a friend asked if Deanna could take twin toddler sons belonging to a new Mom in the class outside to play so the Mom could work. I explained that we were leaving, but Deanna spoke up and said that she would like to stay and serve. My god-daughter overheard the conversation and said she'd be happy to bring Deanna home at lunchtime.

The boys and I left and Deanna stayed to help another mother by keeping her children occupied. Never a complaint, just a heart to serve the Lord through serving his servants.

God's word promises, "Raise up a child in the way that he should go and, when he is old, he will not depart from it." I daily stand on this promise in scripture and pray that Don and I can instill such a love for the Lord and His work in our children now that we won't have to wait until "he is old". It sure looks like we have a good start. From my mouth to God's ears.

Now, for my dear friend, Lydia:

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 c. oil
1 c. sugar
2 c. zucchini
1 t. vanilla
1 T. salt
1 T. soda
2 T. cinnamon
1/4 t. baking powder
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. nuts (optional)

Mix together beaten eggs, oil, sugar, grated zucchini, and vanilla. Add in flour. Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. (If using cooking spray in pans, flour over spray.) Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack.

Hope you like it, Lyds.

No comments: