Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Camping coming

We leave in the morning for a 4-day camping trip. Just how much summer can you fit into one 3-month period?

Swimming, matinees, beach trips, eating out, playing cards, spending time with friends, and camping, too. I decided this year that I was going to take a summer vacation, as well, so I've battled to accomplish my stream-lined chores in the morning and reserved the afternoon for playtime.

My children are young for such a short time. I've decided that, even though this may not be an extraordinary summer in terms of trips, I want it to have extraordinary memories of fun and relaxation.

Tonight I pack, tomorrow I set up camp. Then I sit back in my camp chair and listen while the children splash in the lake and laugh as they call to each other.

I'll be lulled to sleep by the sound of water lapping at the bank and the crickets playing their mournful song. I'll wake to damp dew on the ground and a fire that needs to be remade, then enjoy the smell of coffee cooking over an open fire while I spend some early-morning time with my Lord.

Four days of peace, rest, and camping. Then back to reality and Vacation Bible School.

Hope you all have as wonderful a weekend as we're planning. We'll eat a few s'mores for each of you as we sing softly around the campfire tomorrow night.

No comments: