Search This Blog

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Beach

We returned last night around 5:00 p.m. from vacation. We went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. The beaches in that area are called "The Graveyard of the Atlantic" because there are so many sandbars and hazardous surf conditions that there have been thousands of shipwrecks. The surf took its toll on us, as well. The children weren't able to go out very far and, on Friday, our last day on the beach, I was riding waves in when another wave lifted me up and flipped me in two like a pretzel. I wrenched my back and had trouble standing up at first. The lifeguard rushed down and said that they have lots of back and spinal cord injuries in that area because of the fierceness of the undertow combined with the angle of the beach coming down to the surf.

Anyway, despite not having a great beach experience, the rest of the trip was awesome. I went parasailing, something I've wanted to do for many years but not had the opportunity.

Much more to pass along in future posts, but Dane is in soccer camp this week and waiting to be picked up, so I've got to run.

Hope you are all enjoying the beginnings of summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go parasailing as well and sky diving.

Patti Doughty said...

I'm still hoping to go sky-diving some day. The parasailing wasn't as exciting as I had hoped - really pretty dull. But I'm glad I did it. Now I can mark it off my list of things I've always wanted to do.

Hope you get to try them both. Thanks for writing, Eric.

Patti