Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dane's Birthday

Today was Dane's birthday. He turned 7. In an effort to nip the "every-year-birthday-party" thing in the bud, Don and I were adamant with Dane that we were not going out to eat this year, nor would there be a big party. We just got back from vacation and we're going camping next week in honor of his birthday (his choice of things to do back when we first started talking about his birthday, several months ago). So, to gloss things over a little, I told him I'd make anything he wanted for dinner and we could invite Grandma and Grandpa down to eat in celebration.

As I sat Sunday night at the kitchen table, trying to flesh out the next month's menus so I could do the grocery list for Don, I asked Dane yet again what he wanted for his birthday dinner.

"I don't know, Mom," he responded blandly. "Maybe pizza."

"We have pizza every Thursday night, son," I reasoned with him, "and your birthday is on a Wednesday. Isn't there something else you'd like?"

He just couldn't think of anything. Dane likes almost all the foods I make - ham and broccoli quiche, marinaded pork tenderloin ("Is there anymore of that good chicken left?"), meatloaf . . . So why he couldn't come up with anything for his birthday was a mystery to me.

In an effort to take a break from the menus, I invited him to stroll around the house with me and check out my gardens and Sissy's cabbages that she's growing for school. When we got to the herb garden, we were both surprised at how well my basil was growing.

"Gosh, it's really gotten big," I grinned from ear to ear. "Just think. In another week or so, I'll be able to do my first harvest and make Pesto."

"That's it!!!!" Dane yelled exuberantly. "I want your homemade Pesto Chicken for my birthday."



Early this morning, I harvested my first batch of basil and began the process of making Pesto. I took chicken breasts out to thaw and then coated them in Pesto on both sides and let them sit. This afternoon, I put them in a slow oven to tenderize and baste in the Pesto as they cooked.

In the meanwhile, Grandma and Grandpa called yesterday to be sure this was Dane's Seventh Birthday. They have a family tradition that they started with the grandkids, of which Dane is #14. When each grandchild turns 7, Grandpa rents a plane and a pilot from the local private airfield and takes that grandchild up for a 1/2 hour tour of the city. When Deanna went up, the pilot let her land the plane. He let her try different maneuvers in the air and thought she was a natural, so he decided to let her try her hand at landing. He talked her through it and she did a wonderful job. Dane was chomping at the bit for his turn.

Grandpa called me back last night to tell me he had a 3:00 p.m. appointment to take Dane up and we needed to meet him at the airstrip. One of Dane's friends turned 7 yesterday and his mother took him and another boy to see the movie "Cars", so Dane started asking this morning if we could do the same today.

"You have two choices. You can either go see the movie or I'll take you to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch right after soccer camp." I secretly prayed he'd choose Chuck E. Cheese, since I wasn't sure we'd have enough time to pick him up from soccer camp at noon, feed him lunch, get to a matinee, and still make it to the airfield on time. He chose Chuck E. Cheese, and I told him he could invite a friend.

After spending the morning working on Pesto and clearing off the dining room table for his birthday dinner (that's where we dumped everything when we unloaded the van Sunday night), we took off like mad for his friend's house, picked him up, then headed to the school. We got to our destination around 12:30 and the kids had a wonderful time, as did I. (I always do, by the way. I LOVE Chuck E. Cheese. I know all the angles. For $10.67 today, we got 4 drinks, a large pepperoni pizza with extra sauce that fed my three kids, our guest, myself, and a friend of mine who joined us, and 60 tokens for the kids to use. When we left, we had enough tickets for each child to pick several nice gifts out of the display cabinet, something they ALL love!! Dane got a balloon and crown on the way in and a coupon for a free ice cream on the way out. We were all very happy.)

I told the kids I had to be at an appointment at 3:00. Dane's friend asked if I'd drop him at home first, but I'd already cleared the airport thing with his mother, so I explained that I didn't have time to take him home right then. As we approached the field, Daelyn sang out, "There's Sissy's airport" which is what they've called it ever since Deanna had her flight with her Grandpa.

"Not for much longer," Dane responded. When I asked what he meant, he explained that Grandpa takes all his babies flying when they turn 7, so he expected either today or tomorrow he'd get to go up in a plane and it'd become HIS airport. I chuckled as I turned into the parking lot, waved to Mom and Dad who were just exiting their car, and parked next to them. Right behind me, my niece pulled in and parked on the other side of Grandma and Grandpa. Dane still didn't get the full picture.

He got his flight. The pilot let him take the yoke for a while in the air and taught him some basics. He loved seeing our city from above and it made his day for him. Dane's uncle and godfather arrived just after us and Don made it there just after Dane took off but was waiting for his baby when Dane touched down.

We hurried home after sending Don, Dane, and Dane's friend after a cake. I realized as we were walking into Chuck E. Cheese that, in my fretting about Pesto, I had completely forgotten about a cake for my son. Thank goodness for Kroger. Don arrived home with a vanilla two-layer, strawberry-filled cake with whipped icing. YUMMY!!

Grandma and Grandpa have a houseguest, an old friend, who joined us for dinner. Afterwards, Grandma and her guest, Dane, Deanna, and I went out on the deck and played cards until dark. I just finished cleaning up the kitchen, content with the day. Dane had lots of fun, albeit mostly down-home fun, and a special meal. He got to ride in a plane (his first time in a small, non-commercial one), got to go to Chuck E. Cheese, got great presents, and enjoyed every minute. I think Don and I succeeded in pushing the "not every year needs a big party" agenda.

I just can't figure out why a 7 year old would choose Pesto Chicken and Honied Carrots for his birthday meal. Dane continues to amaze me at every turn. He's awfully grown up at the ripe old age of 7.

Happy Birthday, my sweet thing. Mommy loves you more than you will every know. And I'm proud of you, son. I couldn't ask for anything more from you than what you give to the Lord right now. Keep putting him first and you'll always be as happy and wonderful as you are at 7.

2 comments:

Colette said...

I feel bad...so busy studying for finals that I forgot to call and tell him "Happy Birthday"! think he will forgive this forgetful old aunt? Hope so..I'll try to call today to make up for it.
Colette

Patti Doughty said...

were, thanks for the comment. It's always nice to know there are some people out there reading my meanderings.

We love birthdays at our house. And we do invest a lot of time in thinking about them, usually. Dane's just comes at a difficult time of year, right after school gets out. His ought to require more thought because it's more of a challenge, but it usually gets less and we tend to wing it. I will say, however, last night he thanked Don and I profusely (and Dane is NEVER profuse) for a wonderful birthday. He had a great day and thinks it's his best birthday ever.

To top things off, we had just finished opening presents when the doorbell rang and FedEx delivered a gift for him from his Aunt in Colorado. It was perfect timing.

Colette, you know Daney knows how much you love him. But it was good to hear your voice today. I tried calling you from N.C., but nobody answered and Papa later told me you were out of town.

Call again soon, Sis. I love you.

Patti