Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2006

Cellphones and Lawnmowers

I was trying to get Daelyn down for his nap today. He seemed to think a commercial he saw recently was very funny. The commercial was for cell phones and involved two children, a boy and a girl. The boy is bragging to the girl about his new cellphone when hers rings. She answers the phone and says, "Just a minute." Then turns to the boy and says, "Your lawn mower's getting away from you!" In the background, it shows a lawnmower running through someone's backyard.

Daelyn thought this was absolutely hilarious and couldn't stop talking about it at naptime.

Daelyn: "Mama, do you remember that commercial with those children when the girl says, 'Your lawnmower's going without you!'? He cracks up and, just as his laughter is starting to wane, he repeats, " 'Your lawnmower's going without you!' "

I watched him for a few minutes and, as he began to quiet down, I whispered to him, " 'Your lawnmower's getting away from you?' "

He cracked up again and I roared, as well. He was laughing at the commercial, I was laughing at him.

I'm so thankful my children appreciate the funny things in life and don't find humor in making fun of other people or slandering some race or personality type. Good, clean, wholesome laughter warms the heart.

The next time you see a commercial for cellphones, check to see if there's a lawnmower in the background, and think of Daelyn. If he's watching, you can bet he'll be laughing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen that commercial. It is cute. What I found funny about it the most was that the boy was dressed in clothes like he just got out of school, but yet he was mowing the yard in those nice clothes.

Patti Doughty said...

I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to watch the commercial again - to Daelyn's delight.