Search This Blog

Friday, August 25, 2006

Chicken Hat

We had invited some friends to go with us to the Outer Banks. We had three cars caravaning on the trip there. Don recharged our walkie-talkie's and gave one to the woman who was driving one of the cars with her son (her husband had to work and was unable to go with us) and we kept the other. The trip was very fun and I found that the walkie-talkies really came in handy. When someone needed to gas up or make a potty stop, we could let the lead car know and then we'd begin looking.

We had a wonderful time with our friends. Anne, the woman who we invited with her son, J.P. (one of Dane's best friends), had never been to the beach before, so this was new territory for her. She loves the mountains and is a Civil War expert, so they spend most of their vacations touring battlefields and towns that were significant in the War. But the beach is something that has eluded her. After our vacation, she's now a beach-lover, as well.

Anyway, we had planned on making the trip home in 2 days. We knew we wouldn't be ready to check out until very late morning and it's a long drive. Anne loaded up early, like 3 a.m. or so, and drove straight through. We got up, had breakfast, then started packing. When we were finally ready and had turned our keys back in, Don asked what I wanted to do. I suggested visiting the other lighthouses. Don commented that he'd like to visit the Kite Store. We turned left (home was to the right) and headed into town.

Don surprised me by turning into Jockey Ridge State Park, the place with the dunes. He said he thought we ought to at least check it out. We had seen hang-gliders all week long taking off from the dunes and knew they had lessons, but had no idea how high the dunes were, nor did we have any concept of the enormity of the Park. It was like a desert, nothing but drifting sand as far as you could see in every direction . . . until you got on the top of the dunes. Then you could see the ocean, the highway that ran along the bottom, separating the Park from the town, and all the businesses.

After climbing the dunes and the children sliding down them several times, we got drinks and loaded back up. Next stop was the Kite Store and, as I said yesterday, Don went inside to look around while I took the children under the awning in the parking lot to make kites.

When Deanna and I went inside looking for the guys, we decided to take a look at the store, as well. It was an interesting construction - 3 stories high with different levels in different sections. It's an L-shape, so the store turns and winds and there's lots of different, little rooms. Deanna and I wandered slowly from room to room, looking for anything worth spending Don's hard-earned money. We were standing in a small room full of circular stands of clothing when a man walked by with A CHICKEN ON HIS HEAD. Apparently, it was a stuffed chicken, but it looked like a hen roosting on his head. Deanna and I gawked in astonishment. When he finally disappeared from view, we turned to look at each other and I whispered to her, "Excuse me, sir, but you seem to have a chicken on your head!"

It was one of those rare moments (at least for me) when timing was perfect. Deanna erupted with laughter and actually roared. I got tickled with her AND with the memory of the chicken and started to laugh. Before long, we were both laughing so hard, we were concerned that we'd cause a disturbance in the store. We tried to sneak into a room by ourselves to have a good, long laugh, but everytime we began to get control, Deanna'd whisper again, "Excuse me, sir, but did you know you have a chicken on your head?" and we'd start all over. We probably laughed for 15 minutes - hard, belly laughs - the kind that bring cleansing and achy chests.

We've told this story over and over again and each time, we crack up. Unfortunately, the moment is long-passed and no one else quite appreciates the humor. I guess you had to be there. We also found out that it's a policy in this store that all the employees wear hats. We had seen someone in a ball cap and someone else in a cowboy hat, but the roosting chicken took the prize. The others were so common, we didn't even really notice that the employees were wearing hats until THE CHICKEN strode by.

For several weeks afterward, anytime we were in a group of people, Deanna'd whisper, "Tell them about the chicken!" I tried repeatedly, but nothing could quite match the moment in the Kite Store.

She and I will always have the memory - not only of the chicken hat but, also, of the bonding moment and the subsequent laughter. It will become a private joke that will always elicit laughter from the two of us as we remember the scene.



On another note, Don and I are leaving this afternoon to go away for our anniversary. We'll just be gone overnight to a neighboring town (staying at a Bed and Breakfast) but I'm really looking forward to a date with my favorite guy. We haven't had an opportunity to even go on a date since our anniversary last year. I'm talking, not even going to dinner or out to a movie, just the two of us. Nowhere without munchkins along. I had to secretly work the whole thing out before I sprung it on Don. He's a homebody and would much prefer to be at home than anywhere else - can you guess why we haven't been on a date in a year?

So I've got to pack and leave copious notes for my niece who'll be staying with the kids while we're gone. And I'm working hard to get the house as clean as possible in the next few hours. I don't want my niece staying in a place where she fears she'll "catch something" - she's a bit germophobic.

Don and I celebrate 11 years of wedded bliss on Saturday. We'll be returning by 4 p.m. so my niece can get home to dress for a wedding, which is the time our wedding began. The memories are very clear to me and, if I forget any, I've got the video to help me remember.

I can't imagine a better husband for me. Don is everything I could ever have dreamed of. The last year has been even more amazing than the first 10. We are more in unity and respect each other more than we could ever have imagined 11 years ago. We were "in love" 11 years ago. Now, we're deeply "in love" and more. Life with Don is just plain good. There's no other way to say it. He is truly God's greatest gift to me.

So goodbye for today. Have a great weekend. I know I will.

No comments: