Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Card Tutor

Daelyn didn't want to go to the Y with me today while I worked out, so Grandma said he could go over there. I stopped to pick him up on my way home and he jumped up off the floor in the living room.

"Come with me, Mama. I got something to show you." He took me by the hand and lead me through the house into the Florida room in the back. As I was greeting my parents, he ran over to Grandma's card table, snatched up a piece of paper, and returned to me, grinning.

I glanced at the piece of paper. It had a capital D with a line under it. At the bottom of the page, it said "388". Next to that was a column headed by G. The number at the bottom of that column said "155".

I grinned at Daelyn. Grandma had been whomped at cards by the third of the Doughty children. Before I had a chance to respond, Daelyn laughed and yelled, "Grandma's a goose egg!!"

I raised my eyebrows and looked at my mother. She shrugged gently and said, "I'm a goose egg." Daelyn danced off to watch TV again and Mama added, "The worst part is, Daelyn lays all his cards on the table and I tell him which ones to play. I beat myself. "

Tough day for Grandma, but it sure made Daelyn's.

No comments: