Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2006

Living Room Re-decorating

It was this weekend three years ago that we moved back into our renovated home. On Friday, the race was on. The Contractor was pushing the sub-contractors to finish the job. When I left the house at 2:50 to pick Deanna up at school and get dressed for the house closing, the counters with sinks were still not in - the bathrooms were bare and certainly not usable. The cabinet makers had just brought the cabinetry in and were attaching it to the walls and sealing it. I was trying to hold panic at bay. I trusted our Contractor, but was doubtful we could really move in. However, we were determined. We had friends lined up to help us, a moving van, and childcare. Determined ... that's what we were.

Well, the counters made it and we moved in, amazingly peacefully. I was thinking yesterday about my living room. I love that room. I have great wall sconces and ambient lighting. I have lace panel curtains on the tinted Andersen windows. The walls are a warm white (Country Cream) and the natural wood arch leading from the dining room into the living room is a focal point. We keep this room closed off from the children and dog so it's in decent shape when we have company. My friends who meet with me on Wednesday morning at 6:00 for Devotions can arrive to a neat, clean room, despite the chaos elsewhere in the house. If someone drops by, I can usher them into the living room where we can visit in peace without clutter around us. The problem is this ... I've never really put up pictures in there, and the decorating leaves something to be desired. I want this room to be airy and uncluttered, but cozy and warm and stylish. I think what I've accomplished is neat, sparce, and plain.

I have no vision. I can't even imagine how to transform this room, though I'm sure other people would have plenty of ideas. Yesterday I was thinking about hiring an Interior Decorator, however, I don't want to spend any REAL money to improve the look of the room. Friends of mine have these lovely, warm rooms with beautiful colors that create the atmosphere. I can't change the color of the walls in this room because there's no doorway between the living room and the hall, which opens into other halls and the den. If I tried to paint the living room, I'd have to carry the color into the halls and half the house would have to be repainted.

My sister has a great eye for decorating. I've thought of having her over, but her taste is VERY different from mine. I love her taste. Her home is darling and reflects her personality. But I want MY living room to reflect me, not her.

Surely, there's someone out there who'd be willing to come and look at my living room and give me some ideas that reflect MY taste without me having to pay a fortune. Any volunteers?

Sent me an e-mail or give me a call if you're willing to volunteer your services. It's only one room.

No comments: