Search This Blog

Monday, October 16, 2006

Exercise time

We joined the Y yesterday. Years ago, when Deanna was a toddler, we had a membership so she could take Gymnastics. She enjoyed the classes, but we haven't been Y'ers for quite some time now. They built a huge, new facility last year and most of my friends have joined. We noticed the other day that they had completely torn down the old Gymnastics Center where Deanna took her classes.

Anyway, I desperately need an exercise program and Deanna could definately benefit from one. Her pediatrician recommended the Y. After the conversation I had with Don about new furniture, I decided it was time to call the exercise equipment question. So we visited on Saturday and decided it was a good fit for our family. The biggest plus, however, was that it was a no-risk offer.

Through Don's job, we can join without a signing fee and they give us a 10% discount on the monthly payments. We can drop out at any time if it's not working out for us with no penalty or loss of money. Then, to add a little gravy, they made a mistake when processing our membership and charged us only $30 for the first month instead of the normal $60 fee. I told them that I didn't want to complain and would certainly accept a membership at a deep discount, but I didn't quite understand. They laughed and explained that they had made a mistake and that I should just be thankful.

I worked out this morning for an hour (actually, we were there for an hour, but I had an orientation session first, so I really only worked out for about 1/2 an hour) and burned about 150 calories. This is just a drop in the bucket, I know, but every little bit helps and, next time, I do a harder, longer routine on the Elipse.

I happily told Don to mark the treadmill off the budget. And I'm working on the bike. The sooner we can mark items off, the sooner I might actually get my furniture!

2 comments:

Renee said...

WTG on joining the Y. That is a big step, I am joining WW at work program on the 31st. I would like to be on the right track before my 40th birthday, I have until August 2007.

Patti Doughty said...

Good for you, Renee. I'm 45 and noticing that it's getting harder to lose weight as the years pass. I'd like to get in better shape before I hit 50.

Hope we both meet our goals.

Patti