Search This Blog

Friday, November 03, 2006

The Trip

Well, we're going!!! Don leaves Monday afternoon (after all) and we have to wait for him to get a work permit and the children's passports to arrive, then we're off, as well.

We have lots of plans to make in just a few short days. Don and I have got to discuss Christmas (what we'll take, what we'll leave behind), where we want to travel while there so we can get rail passes (which you can only purchase in the U.S. before the trip), how we'll do our banking and make purchases while there (everybody charges a surcharge to exchange money - the trick is to find who charges the LEAST), and lots of other family business before he leaves us for 2 weeks and I prepare to follow.

Not to mention getting him packed and buying any clothes/shoes/misc. he might need for the trip. The good thing is, we'll be at home still for 1 1/2 weeks after he's already there, so if he discovers he needs things, he can always call and we can bring them with us.

I want to take some food items, like his Krystal Lite and fruit roll-ups for the kids. I expect these kinds of "American" items might be hard to find and very expensive if we do. I've started a list of what I need to take.

I've got to call the airlines and find out about any restrictions, including weight, on our luggage. Then I've got to gather enough pieces to transport all our stuff.

Pray for us. There are still LOTS of arrangements to make and even more possible glitches. But we'll be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas in the home of Kings and Queens, Bards and Playwrights - God willing.

4 comments:

Renee said...

My prayers are with your family. I hope you have a wonderful time. Keep up posted.

Mom said...

I've been away from your blog for a while and I see I've missed a lot. That's so cool about Deanna shaking the Prez's hand! I got to shake James Taylor's hand and I didn't wash my hand for a few days! LOL
Good luck on your trip! Take loads of pictures. Maybe you can meet the Queen. (it is London you're going to, right?)

Anonymous said...

How Exciting about your trip. You will have LOTS to share when you get back or maybe even during?
We just got back from vacation with the granparents and visiting Tallahasse lassie.(cousin)

Anyways, you and your family will be in our prayers.

Patti Doughty said...

Thanks, everybody! Obviously, we're thrilled. Haven't had much time yet, though, to really think about it - too busy.

Dree and Renee, keep us the prayers. We'll sure need them. I don't know if I'll be able to post from over there or not. I seem to have lost my password for sign-on, since my husband had our computer programmed directly. But, I'll certainly try.

Talli, no, not London. We hope to visit London over Thanksgiving, but we'll be in the English countryside in the NW - halfway between Manchester and Liverpool (YEAH!! Beatle's country). Don spent some time checking out our camera to make sure we could recharge the battery with the difference in voltage over there - we can.

Bomba - hope you had a good visit. Sometime, I'd love to meet your family. Colette said you were coming this direction.

Love to all!!

Patti