Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Trust for Today

My sister called me late last night. We have both been so busy, we haven't had much of an opportunity to talk. The children were in bed and I was sitting at the kitchen table signing traveler's checks.

After we talked for a few minutes, she asked about Donovan.

Sis: "Do you have anybody to take care of the dog yet?"

Me: "Nope. Not yet."

Sis: "Doesn't that stress you out a little? It's getting a little late, isn't it?"

Me: "You know, I don't understand WHY I'm so peaceful, but I am. Somehow, I just know in the depths of my spirit that the Lord is going to take care of this situation for us and I don't even have to do anything about it. He's just going to lay it in my lap."

Sis: "That IS strange, alright. I hope it all works out for you."

The truth is, I have been strangely peaceful - at least about this issue. When we first found out we were going, I made about 30 calls, all to no avail. Finally, I just laid it at the feet of the Lord and a peace came over me. I can't even explain it, but it's as if, in the middle of the fever pitch of our lives right now, God carved out this little area of peace and tranquility for me. I didn't have to worry about Donovan, our little love. The Lord would take care of him.

Last night, I got a phone call, out of the blue, from people I've known for many years but am not particularly close to in this season in my life. They asked if I had anyone to keep Donovan yet. I responded in the negative and the woman said they were interested. She explained that they have a very old female dog who uses a doggy door to get out into their fenced-in yard. She's welcome in the house. The wife and husband both work, but the grandchildren, who are about the same ages as my children, frequently visit and the wife's elderly father lives with them and is nearly always home. We agreed that I would bring Donovan over this afternoon for a trial run.

I was a little concerned. Donovan has never successfully navigated a doggy door. My in-laws have one and he can get back into the house from outside but won't use it to go out. Don discussed this with me before he left and said that he felt sure Donovan was old enough now to "get" the doggy door thing. But I was concerned, all the same.

Within five minutes of our arrival, Donovan was running in and out of the doggy door like an old pro. He had checked the entire house out and the wife's father seemed pleased with the companionship. Their dog is sweet and got along fine with Donovan, although he wore her plumb out and she nipped at him a little to get him to leave her alone. (She's going to have to do way more than that to slow him down.)

We came home, fully convinced that this WAS the perfect situation for Donovan. And, as Deanna pointed out, the Lord dropped it directly in our laps. We had to do nothing. It was truly miraculous.

The wife commented that Donovan is still a puppy and asked how old he was. I explained that his birthday is on Christmas and she announced that they'd have a party for him. I think he's going to be spoiled rotten by the time we get home, and I really can't imagine anything better for him, other than us never leaving.

God is good. He loves us enough to lay the answer in our laps when we trust Him. He took this burden completely off my shoulders and I can rest securely tonight knowing that my baby has a wonderful place to stay for his 3-month vacation.

Now if we can just get our plane tickets!!

No comments: