Search This Blog

Monday, March 05, 2007

Old "What's Her Name"

Deanna has a Science test at school today. True to form, she forgot about it until bedtime last night. She studied furiously for about 15 minutes while her brothers bathed and got ready for bed. Then I tucked her in, with promises that I'd wake her up early for studying.

This morning, I reminded her to hurry and dress so she'd have studytime. She sat at the breakfast table, trying to remember the difference between herring and mackerel. Her brothers were busy eating while Deanna's food sat getting cold. I finally glanced at the clock and began fussing at her.

"Sis, put your schoolwork away and eat your breakfast. It's already 7:35. You're going to be late for school."

As she reached for her food, Daelyn asked,

"Mama, does that mean we'll need to get a tardy slip for Dane and that other person?"

I glanced at Deanna. She frowned and looked back over the top of her glasses. "I guess I'm the "other person"?

"Sorry, Sissy," Daelyn responded. "I forgot your name."

Sissy is so hard to remember, after all.

No comments: