Search This Blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Whittler

Took Donovan to the Vet this morning for his annual check-up and because he's scratching like mad again. Our friends that kept him while we were in England had to take him once while we were gone.

He loves going to the Vet. So many smells, so many animals, so much to do!!! He gets excited as soon as he sees the sign from the road.

This morning, as usual, he ran wildly around the Vet's office, taxing me as much as possible to keep a 19-lb. dog under control. They quickly put us in a room. When the doc walked in, Donovan got so excited, he ran over to me, cocked his leg, and whizzed on my pantleg. I was floored. He's never acted like that before. Dr. Walker laughed and said that happens quite often.

Upon returning home, I told Don (who took the day off) and Daelyn about my experience on my way to the bathroom to change pants and socks. Don laughed and Daelyn acted shocked (no more shocked than I was to feel wet on my pantsleg.)

Just a few minutes ago, I was doing a computer inventory of the children's savings bonds, just in case our house burns down or we have a break-in. The Treasury Department has a nice little savings bond calculator that prints up a great little reference for you. Daelyn was getting impatient with me, because we're supposed to go to the grocery store, but I wanted to finish this task before leaving. It's something I always make a mental note to do some day, but have never gotten around to. It was high time to get this job done.

To ward off my son's frustration just a little, I explained what I was doing. He gets a savings bond from his grandparents every year for Christmas, so he knows what they are. I told him I was making a record of them in case someone broke into our house and tried to steal them.

Daelyn looked at me very matter-of-fact. "Mama," he said, "if anyone tries to break into OUR house, Donovan will either pee on their leg or jump up and bite them."

Mercy like raindrops, not tinkle, Lord.

No comments: