Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Distorted music

Been out of town at Don's parents in West Virginia. We left Deanna behind for her week with them. Dane will go for the first time later this summer.

Before leaving in the wee hours of the morning Saturday, we took the kids out to dinner Friday night. Dane's team mom gave each player three Wendy's coupons for $2 off, so we took advantage of them Friday.

While sitting in the restaurant munching on a burger and fries, Deanna began fussing about the music - soft jazz.

"This music is terrible. Somebody should tell them. I can't stand this music. They need to change the station. Mama, would you ask them to change the station?"

Daelyn: "It sounds like the music off Mr. Roger's neighborhood."

Deanna: "I should have brought my MP-3 player."

Don: "Why? You only listen to the same 10 songs over and over again."

Deanna: "I know!"

Me: "10 songs? Why do you only listen to 10 songs? I know you have more than that on your MP-3 player. What about 'Phantom of the Opera'?"

Deanna: "I don't like to listen to 'Phantom of the Opera' unless I can dance."

Me: "What does dancing have to do with the 'Phantom of the Opera'?"

Deanna: "Well, 'Phantom' is dance music and, if I can't dance, I don't want to listen to it."



Soft jazz is Mr. Roger's music and 'Phantom' is dance music. Next they'll be telling me the theme from "Jaws" is a Mozart Symphony.

Can you say "musically-challenged"?

3 comments:

Mom said...

I don't like jazz music either.

Patti Doughty said...

Talli, I have to admit, I wasn't wild about the form of Jazz they were playing. It did sound like a dressed-up version of elevator music, but it was soothing and appropriate for a restaurant.

Deanna had the nerve to say to me that she thought they should put on some "Country Western". I almost choked on my burger. Since when did MY children become fans of Country Western? We NEVER listen to that at home. How do they even know what Country Western is?

Mom said...

That's a good question. They probably heard it from friends. We never listen to that genre either. I can't stand it. Jazz and country, no thanks.
Sometimes I wish there was no music. Why do we need music as a background sound everywhere we go? Why not play classic books on tapes over the speakers? LOL Maybe people would be quieter as everyone tries to listen to the story. Wouldn't we all be more rested at least?