Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2007

Rain and Cars

There were 14 messages on our answering machine when we got home from West Virginia yesterday. Several were about baseball and t-ball games and practices being cancelled. Apparently, as soon as we left the state, it began raining and rained nightly for several nights. This morning we had a downpour, also.

The children noticed as we were driving into the driveway that the grass was green instead of dead and brown. I was not surprised. I've fertilized and watered faithfully, since only stickers seem to grow when the grass gets too dry and then our children get hurt playing in their own backyard.

But the entire neighborhood was green and lush. Something drastic had to have happened. Then I heard the messages on the answering machine and talked to my father, who filled me in on the rainfall. Lucious, beautiful, wet rain. We've seen very little since coming home from England - precious little.

There was also a message from a used car dealership that's been trying to help us find a used 5-speed, 4-door miracle. It seems that a 4-door, 5-speed in a used vehicle is something of a miracle in and of itself. Add to that what we're willing to pay, the required gas mileage, and the interior size for our family of 5 and luggage - this task was nothing short of miraculous.

We've looked at several, but have yet to find the right fit for us. I eagerly called the dealership back. Don says the manager must be very determined to meet his quota this month, because he had three and, possibly, four vehicles to us to look at. We drove by last night, on the way to Dane's birthday dinner after his basebal game, to look at them. The shop was closed, but the manager said he'd park them right out front for us.

I was impressed with both. One has 45,000 miles, the other 58,000. They're both in excellent shape - one is a Mazda sportster with spoiler and mag wheels. The other has a sunroof. Now, lest you think I think these things matter, let me reassure you. I'd just as soon pay less and get less vamp. In any case, both looked like great possibilities.

We've got to go over this morning and test drive them, then talk dollars and cents. I'm very hopeful we can come to a deal that pleases us. We've certainly been looking for long enough.

I can hear furniture just calling to me. Hold on!! I'm coming. I should be there very soon.

No comments: