Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Looking into the Soul of our Home

It's amazing how much clean windows in a room can make the whole room feel cleaner and more upbeat. I have a friend who's very determined about keeping her windows clean. She literally cleans certain ones several times a week. I'm not determined about very much when it comes to housecleaning. But, last night during dinner, I noticed how bad the windows in our breakfast nook looked. We have windows on two sides of the room, ceiling to floor, that were covered with dog slobber, fingerprints, and other unknown messy stuff. I felt determination creeping in.

This morning, I got out the Windex and went to work. I was surprised to find how much of the junk is on the outside - even some of the dog slobber (at least on the storm door - the windows are a little high off the ground for our 17" puppy). But they look hugely better, and I feel better.

Getting some of the deep-down dirt off made me realize just how much more needs to be done. All the walls in the kitchen need scrubbing, the baseboards (of course - I always do the baseboards when I wash the floors), tops of the window frames, etc. Deep-down cleaning. The whole house needs this kind of attention.

I have resolved to get a lot of this kind of work done this summer. The children are home. There's no reason why they can't each tackle 2-3 chores each day for Mom. All three of them could clean windows. Even Daelyn's old enough to wipe down baseboards, once I teach him what they are. Deanna or Dane could stand on a stool and wipe down the tops of doorways and window frames.

And there's more - oh, so much more. Determination continues to creep in. If I can just keep it there, balanced against discouragement, I might be able to get some good work done between our vacations this summer.

Hurray for Summer!! Now I'm going to go sit in the breakfast nook, look out my clean windows, and watch the birds feed while I drink a cup of coffee. Ah!! Clean windows.

No comments: