Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2007

We miss Sis

Tomorrow we pick up our Sissy-poo and head to Carowinds for a day. This is Dane's birthday present. He wanted to go to Carowinds in lieu of a party and presents.

We've really missed Deanna, as usual. I keep looking around, trying to find my third child. This must be how a mother feels when one of her kids leaves home for the first time - lying awake, unconsciously waiting for the last child to come home.

When we've gone to the pool, I keep looking for that other child. Don and I had a disagreement last weekend because I wanted to take his new car on our date, but we needed to drop the boys off at a birthday pool party and take Dane's friend home. Don wasn't clearly saying no or giving any reason, but he kept avoiding the question. Once we finally got on our date, he said he didn't want to take his car because we couldn't all fit. I asked him how he figured that. We bought the car for our whole family. We had Dane's friend with us, in Deanna's place. How could we possibly all not fit.

"Oh," he responded dully. "I forgot Deanna's not with us." I understood well.

On another front, while Dane's friend was over, they decided to practice baseball - pitching to each other and hitting. They were in the lower part of our yard, far too near our neighbor whose house sits sideways at the end of our street. I scooted them further up the yard, where the common backyards open up to a huge, wide area, perfect for batting.

Dane and his friend appeared in my bathroom later where I was doing my hair and makeup for Don's and my date.

"Mama," Dane started, "something bad happened. There was an accident."

Me, trying hard to control my panic: "What happened, son?"

Dane: "We were playing baseball and we hit the ball ..." he trailed off.

Me: "Where, son," trying hard not to scream the words, "where did you hit the ball to?"

Dane: "Well (in his slow, southern drawl), we hit Daddy's new car!"

Me: "What?!!! Daddy's new car?"

Other Boy: "He pitched it right down the middle."

Dane: "It broke a light."

Me: "A light where? On Daddy's new car?"

Other Boy: "It was right down the middle."

Dane: "But the light's still there, Mom."

Me: "What are you talking about? What did you hit?"

Other Boy: "The middle. Right down the middle."

The long and short of it is the backup light on Don's day-old car got hit and broken. The bulb was still intact, but the top of the red cover was broken off. Don taped it up good with clear packing tape, concerned that rain would get inside the cover and short out the electrical system. We sure don't want to have to mess with electrical problems. We'll have to get the cover replaced at some point. In the meanwhile, the car works, you can't tell the top of the cover over the back light is broken, and Dane had a wonderful time with his friend.

Lots of news for Deanna when she gets home. Thank God she's coming home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty, its chris from England, Monikas good looking partner!We have just been reading your blog and seeing what you've been up to. Baseball is not a real game, all you get is car damage and trouble. Try soccer or rugby, no car damage there and remember, broken bones heal stronger. Monika is saying hello to you all. Oh yes, Monika got promoted at work and is now the reception manager! Lots of work and she sacked lots of staff. Sadly she has parted company with Elaine who now works in Laura Ashley and is very happy. Ok then, i hope you all the best and we will check on your blog from time to time to see how you are all doing. Regards, Chris and Monika (and Zeus).

Patti Doughty said...

Chris and Monika!!!! How wonderful to hear from you (and Zeus).

Poor Elaine. I knew she wasn't long for the Village Hotel. But I'm glad she's happy at Laura Ashley and I'm sure work is much easier. So Monika's taking no prisoners, huh? Much better at that whole Manager-thing than Fiona.

If we had just had a little more time in England, maybe you could have taught Dane rugby! (By the way, is rugby why you're so good-looking?)

We miss you terribly. While Deanna was with her Grandparents last week, I asked her over the phone if she missed me. "No, but I miss England", she said.

Monika, tell Jane and Lauren in the restuarant we said hello. We've been thinking about them and talked about them yesterday morning at breakfast. I'm so excited about your promotion.

Write again soon. It always makes my day to hear from you.

Love you both.

Patti

Patti Doughty said...

Chris and Monika!!!! How wonderful to hear from you (and Zeus).

Poor Elaine. I knew she wasn't long for the Village Hotel. But I'm glad she's happy at Laura Ashley and I'm sure work is much easier. So Monika's taking no prisoners, huh? Much better at that whole Manager-thing than Fiona.

If we had just had a little more time in England, maybe you could have taught Dane rugby! (By the way, is rugby why you're so good-looking?)

We miss you terribly. While Deanna was with her Grandparents last week, I asked her over the phone if she missed me. "No, but I miss England", she said.

Monika, tell Jane and Lauren in the restuarant we said hello. We've been thinking about them and talked about them yesterday morning at breakfast. I'm so excited about your promotion.

Write again soon. It always makes my day to hear from you.

Love you both.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

I have got the day off today,so got time to be a proper girl to my man and do some housework!

I will pass on your hello's to The Verve grill Guys. Yes,we are going through changes. New everything! Hotel is going to be fully refurbished and i am so very exited about the whole thing! First new 20 bedrooms are back on sale next Thursday!!!

So, no more flowery curtains or horrible wallpaper!!!

Anyway, take care and send our love to your family!

Monika