Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2007

The Cherub

My friend, Kelly, had her baby today. What a joyous occasion! I kidded both my pregnant friends before I left for Colorado that they had to hold out for my return. Kelly managed to pull that off, so I spent the day at the hospital with her.

Once her beautiful, 8 lb. 10 oz. baby boy was born, I was standing in the room, holding him, in awe of the miracle that is childbirth. Kelly was watching him and I was watching her. I got very choked up. God's gift of life is amazing. Tears began to flow down my face when she looked at me. She started to tear up and then we both laughed.

10 very long, thin fingers. Two big feet with perfect little toes and nails. Thin, dark eyebrows and a beautiful little button nose. Just the right amount of redness to indicate a healthy baby. Just enough rolls to keep you from worrying. An intensity in his glance that warms the heart. And a darling cleft in his chin that hints at cherubim.

Ah! The beauty of new birth. God must love us to give us precious little creatures like this to care for.

And precious friends with which we can share our joy.

No comments: