Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2008

Swooshing

I took Deanna skiing over the weekend. Two years ago, I promised to take her, but she broke her foot 5 days before the trip and her Orthopedic doctor told us we had to cancel. Last year, we were in England for ski season, so I finally kept my commitment to her and took her. School was cancelled for Friday so we left around noon and headed to the North Carolina mountains.

We drove straight to Sugar Mountain Ski Resort, parked, and walked up to the Lodge. We talked with the employees about ski rentals, then went over to the Ski School building and talked with them. We discovered that it was cheaper to get our skis at a Pro Shop in town, which we did later in the evening, then picked up lift tickets from the only independent dealer in town that sells them. Then we headed back to Boone to check into our hotel and get some sleep.

Nicki went with us and she decided to attend Ski School with Deanna. Although Deanna got off to a rocky start, she ultimately had a wonderful time and learned the basics, now proclaiming herself "a skier". She wants to go back again next year.

I was a little surprised with myself. Though I've had a number of opportunities to ski in my life, it's been many years (12, to be exact) since my last time. I didn't think I'd remember and expected to be a little shaky and uncertain. From the moment I stepped into my bindings, everything flooded back and I was swooshing down the slope, from side to side, in seconds. It amazed me that it all returned and felt so natural, it was like I had never taken off my skis.

We got home around midnight Saturday and, by then, Deanna was pretty sick. She began getting cold symptoms Friday night and, after a full day of skiing, was feeling pretty rough. I kept her home from school today to rest and work on getting better. She'll return to school tomorrow, though.

Amanda's struggling with numerous problems. While small in comparison to what she's already walked through, they're dangerous and very scary, all the same. The biggest concern right now, in addition to several spots of infection, is that they did a calorie count on her for several days and the doctor told my sister that she's barely eating enough to keep her alive. My sister's very concerned that she's going to fall backwards, but Amanda is eating as much as she's able. As of tonight, they're going to start feeding her via her feeding tube through the night to try and up her intake of calories.

I'll write more tomorrow, but right now, I'm having trouble dealing with everything myself and need to rest and think over these new issues. Please continue to pray. Trina's so exhausted she was stumbling around Amanda's room tonight. She needs some GOOD sleep and a little bit of a break from worrying.

I'm heading to bed now - and to hug my husband. We both need it.

No comments: