Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Humor

Nicki kept Daelyn for me yesterday after school so I could go to the hospital. When I got home, in time for her to leave for work, she told me that she had done Daelyn's homework with him. His class is learning the letter "L l". There must have been a picture of a lion on one of his sheets because they launched into a discussion about lions. Nicki relayed the following conversation to me.

Nicki: "Have you ever seen a real lion?"

Daelyn: "I don't know."

Nicki: "When did you last go to the Zoo?" knowing that the zoo in Columbia, just a little over an hour away, has a lion.

Daelyn: "Three years ago." This is probably pretty close to true. We've been home from England for a whole year already, were there 3 months, and hadn't been to the zoo for quite sometime before we left for England. Three years was a great estimate.

Daelyn: "That would make it about . . . hmh . . . 1979."

Nicki: "Daelyn, you weren't born yet in 1979. I wasn't even born yet. Your mother was probably in high school then."

Daelyn: "Oh. Well, then, it must have been 1981."

His seriousness coupled with the awesome estimate from seconds earlier struck Nicki very funny. Even repeating the story to me, she got tears in her eyes and cracked up laughing several times. It was one of those moments when the stars all align and something seems terribly funny but, when explained, never quite seems the same. Like the time we were in the Outer Banks and we saw the employees of the store in goofy hats and Deanna and I laughed so hard we almost had an accident.

Tomorrow, I'll write an update on Amanda, but, for today, I needed a break. And I'm quite sure you did, as well.

No comments: