Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Today's Dawning

Today was my day in the Kindergarten classroom. About mid-morning, it occurred to me that my father probably had forgotten where I was today. We try and keep each other in the loop as to our comings and goings. So, I slipped away to the Teacher's Lounge to give him a quick call.

"I HAD forgotten, hon," he told me.

"I suppose Mom and Tenny have gone to the hospital to be there when Amanda stands for the first time," I responded.

"Yep," he said. "And just after they left, Trina called to say that Amanda not only stood on her own, but shuffled backwards a little without the walker."

The news left me totally breathless. It was more than we could have hoped for.

I went to each of the children's classrooms to fill them in. Then, after school, I suggested that we take off for the hospital for a celebration with Amanda.

Trina was thrilled to see the children, as was Amanda. I haven't seen Amanda THIS happy in months. She was smiling from ear to ear and bubbling over. She didn't want the kids to leave and asked me to leave Deanna behind when Trina took the boys and me down to check the laundry that she was washing.

Amanda gave us more details. She took 10 steps with the help of her walker. Then her therapist had her make several trips back and forth from the wheelchair to the bed. Although her back hurt a little this evening from the exertion, she can't wait to get back up tomorrow and get hard at it again.

She's walking. At least a little. It's just so hard to believe.

The next few days will be very exciting as she makes progress beyond what we expected. Gone are the doomsday prophecies from doctors and nurses that she'd never walk again. She's proving all of them to be lies. God can do anything. He saved Amanda. Of course he's going to help her walk again.

And the pain and loneliness of the last three months for Trina begins to fade like darkness as dawn begins to break.

No comments: