Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another life in the day . . .

It's amazing what a little prayer and sleep will do for you. And, after I dropped Dane and Deanna at choir practice last night, Daelyn and I hit Wal-Mart. Dane needed some school socks and a new baseball bat (his is far too heavy, his coach tells me) and Deanna needed a belt.

I came home with a pair of shoes that match my dress for the wedding (Yay! I've been looking all week and never even considered Wal-Mart) and several other treasures and Don found a suitcoat that fits him that he can wear to the wedding. Now I just have to find a dress and shoes for Deanna and I'll be ready to pack.

Dane's class performed "Pecos Bill and Sleufoot Sue" today. The viewing of the play for parents and grandparents was at 9 a.m. There is a later performance for the elementary students. Then a pizza party and a fun day on tap. I picked up Grandpa and arrived about ten till nine to get seats. Dane was already seated on the stage with the curtain pulled. I stood by the stage stairs, got his attention and waved. He smiled a huge smile. He's been so excited. Then I took my seat with Grandpa. About 2 minutes later, Don walked in. He had told Dane he'd try his best to get there but neither of us had any hope. I was floored when I glanced up and saw him coming through the doorway. I grabbed him, drug him to the stage stairs, and Dane saw him. What a difference to that little boy.

He called Don at work yesterday and asked him to make arrangements to be there. I was sitting nearby listening to the conversation.

"But, Dad, our family started with YOU," he pleaded. How many times have I told the children that their father is the head of our family. Now he had a chance to show it. AND HE DID! It was wonderful.

I've never seen such a good children's play. The actors spoke loudly and slowly. You could understand nearly every word. And they paused appropriately after a funny line to allow the patrons to laugh. It was very well done and a lot of fun. Dane couldn't have been prouder.

So, I've lost 8 pounds and bought a size smaller pair of jeans last night at Wal-Mart, too. Only 52 more to go! But at least I'm headed the right direction instead of up, up, up. And, hopefully, I'm also setting a good example for my children who are noticing me getting ice cream for them but refusing their offers of tastes, having salad instead of sandwiches, and cutting back significantly on my dinner portions. They all commented separately at dinner last night. I was glad to be impressing them positively.

Got to pick up Deanna and take her to look for a dress quickly while all she's missing at school is recess. Then maybe I can buckle down to getting packed . . . again. I should be an expert by now. But this is the last family wedding this year - at least the last one we know about. And my weekends of being booked back-to-back end with this one.

I can't think of a nicer way to end a busy season. My sister from California arrives tomorrow with her husband, son, daughter-in-law, and two grandbabies that I've never seen. My nephew, the Best Man, flew in from South America on Monday. My niece and her boyfriend from D.C. are also arriving in Atlanta tomorrow. Any my sweet Alicia, of course, will be coming up from Statesboro for her brother's wedding. In addition, my brother (whose son was married last weekend) has made arrangements to drive over for the rehearsal dinner with the newlyweds, so I'll get to see him and my nephew and new niece-in-law (I guess I can call her that - my nephew's new wife) again. A real family gathering!

So I'll plod through the preparations once more. I'm sure the celebration this weekend will be worth all the planning and work.

And there will be rest for the weary on Monday!

No comments: