Search This Blog

Monday, April 14, 2008

The Race is On

I just don't know why I've been in such a slump of late. I don't feel like I have anything to say. While there's lots going on in my life, much of what I'm dealing with is personal and I don't want to share it with the internet.

It was wonderful to see my brother and his family over the weekend. My sister-in-law was very happy and we got to see the whole family, even my nephew who's going through Army basic training. We even got to have breakfast with the honeymooners Sunday morning before they left for Florida and we left for Augusta.

The downside was that we're all exhausted. The children did wonderfully in the van for 6 hours on a Saturday morning and I was very pleased with the way they behaved at the wedding. But we had very late nights and were just worn out by the time the reception was over. We pushed the issue a little too much to try and fit in a visit and kept them out even later, which took a toll on all of us. By the time we got home Sunday afternoon, Don and I were both sicker and we all went into a new week just plumb worn out.

The baseball situation doesn't help any. We signed Dane up to play baseball with the Rec Department this year, hoping he would be drafted onto the team coached by his classmate's dad. He wasn't. Instead, he was picked up in the second round by another coach who's wonderful and an excellent teacher, but who loves the game so much that he doesn't want to end practice at night. He told us the first night that practices would be from 6 to 7:30. We have yet to finish before 8:15 and, most nights, it's 8:30 before parents start pulling their kids off the field and the coach finally give in. Add to that the 4 nights/week of practices and it makes for very tired players.

Tonight I like to have frozen to death. The temperature was 57 when I got in the van to bring Dane home. I was so cold, it was spreading up my back and into my shoulders and I could feel my neck tightening. Then it started to rain. And Dane has three more of these practices this week. I wasn't the first parent to pull their child off the field, nor the second, but when I pulled Dane off, the coach told all the players who had already batted that they could leave.

This weekend is the last one we have planned for a while. I'd just like to have one weekend at home with my family. While the trips skiing, retreating with Deanna, going to the Family Reunion, hiking on Cumberland Island with 9 eleven year old girls, and a family wedding were all fun, I'm just plain wore out.

Maybe next Monday will feel less like a Marathon and more like a Sprint. I think I could finish a Sprint.

Here's hoping.

No comments: