Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Like Minds

Don and I have been thinking about moving. We've looked at a house that's for sale just a couple of blocks away several times and I'm very interested. Don, however, isn't. He can't really express to me why not. I think it just must not be the right timing for him.

Although we love our house, especially after gutting, redesigning, and adding on, we've never liked the location. We are on a very busy road and can't allow the chidren in the front yard. Three or four times since I've lived in this house people have driven through our front yard. We have crepe myrtle trees (3) on the easement between the sidewalk and the street and they've been taken out twice, once on purpose by some twisted individual who spent their evenings driving through yards in our neighborhood. Another time, a woman went into diabetic shock while driving and plowed through our front yard and my neighbors, only coming to a halt when she hit a Stop sign. We live just south of a dangerous curve and drivers seem to lose control coming out of the curve and end up in yards further up the street or ours, mostly on the weekends, and often late at night with the involvement of alcohol.

Anyway, over the years we've looked at several different homes near ours and none have interested us. This one, however, really grabbed my attention and the children fell in love with it. The owners want far too much, WAY more than the appraised value, and the amount I wanted to offer was about half of their asking price but fairly close to the appraised value. Don finally said no and we've laid that down. Until the other day.

Don and I were talking about possible other options. I had heard through the grapevine that the house which held my interest may have been purchased by a family we know and I mentioned it to Don. But I had driven by and there was no sign up indicating it was under contract.

"Maybe it didn't sell and, if it sits there long enough, maybe the owners will become more realistic about the price and we can think about it again," my husband dropped on me like a bombshell.

"Does this mean you might be interested if the price was lower?" I quizzed him, shocked that it might still be a possibility.

"We'll see. But price point was definitely a problem for me," he responded.

The next morning, I told the children at breakfast about the conversation with their daddy the night before.

"Who knows?" I told them. "Maybe the price will come down and then we can talk turkey."

"Instead of talking trash?" Daelyn asked.

That boy thinks far too much like his father.

No comments: