Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What's the name of that game?

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch on our way home from West Virginia. We all love Cracker Barrel's food and the boys think the decor is cool. As soon as we sat down, Dane asked if he could go play checkers.

"You need to order FIRST," I told him, shoving a menu in front of him.

Daelyn: "What's that thing we always have? I'll have that."

Me: "Which thing we always have? Hash brown casserole?"

Daelyn: "No. That round thing."

Me: "Waffle?"

Daelyn: "Yeah! I want a waffle."

Don and I simultaneously glanced at our menus. No waffles. Only pancakes. We prompted Daelyn again and asked if he wanted pecan or plain pancakes. After getting a hard-fought answer, we turned our attention to Dane again.

"What do you want to eat," I asked him.

"Can I go play checkers?"

I sighed. Some days, I'm not sure we speak the same language as our children.

"You have to order FIRST," I explained again. "What would you like to eat?"

"Egg and bacon," he responded. All these luscious foods and he wants the same thing I make him at home.

"Do you want a biscuit with it?" Dane nodded affirmatively and I released him and Daelyn to go play on the checkerboard in front of the now-empty fireplace.

Don and I were looking over our menus and discussing whether to order breakfast or lunch when Daelyn returned looking upset.

"Daddy, I need to ask you a question privately."

"Ask me here, son. Just say it out."

"It's about chest. I need to know if I can do something in chest. Aren't you a chest expert?"

Don's eyes began to sparkle and he grinned.

"Nope," he said. "Ask Mommy. She's the chest expert."

"I may be the chest expert," I told Daelyn, "but you're not playing 'chest'. You're playing checkers, and Daddy's the checkers expert."

I grinned back at Don and caught him casually glancing at my 'chest'. Eyes up, my darling. The boys are playing checkers.

No comments: