Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sickies on the Home Front

I have three sick children home today. Daelyn complained all day yesterday of his stomach bothering him and his throat hurting. Yesterday afternoon, he said he thought he was going to throw up and that his head was hurting and, sure enough, he started throwing up in the afternoon and, by last night, was running a fever. He was up at 4:30 this morning throwing up, but he did manage to get some good sleep.

Dane came and crawled in bed with me this morning, complaining of his stomach, head and throat. Why not, I thought. Everybody else is suffering from the same thing. So I kept him home from school.

Deanna stayed home yesterday and doesn't seem to be any better, so I kept her home again today. She's nauseated, doesn't want to eat, her tonsils are swollen, and she has a headache. I'm sure it's viral, but she's miserable. If she's not feeling better soon, I'm afraid I'll have to take her in for a strept test. At least she's not throwing up.

For some reason, the boys can throw up quite aptly in a bucket, but Deanna says, "I'm not going to throw up, I'm not going to throw up, I'm not going to throw up" right until she does, so she never prepares. I guess she thinks that, by denying it vehemently, she can keep it from happening.

One time, she was feeling poorly when I put her to bed. During the night, she came into my bedroom to tell me she was worse. She climbed in the bed, on top of me, and sat up, straddling my belly.

"Mama," she started, "I'm not feeling so..." She never got the rest out. She threw up - all over me - in my face, my hair, all over the bed. When she finished, she was so appauled with herself, she had this pained look on her face.

"Do you think maybe next time you could do that somewhere other than in my face," I asked her, lightly. She burst out laughing, relieved that I wasn't angry with her, and then realized she wasn't finished yet and made a mad dash for our bathroom, giggling the entire way. She didn't quite make it to the commode and, when she let loose, the tile floor served as a trampoline. I was up for 2 1/2 hours disinfection the bathroom floor and walls up to about 3 ft. from the floor. Deanna had to have a bath and wash her hair, our sheets had to be changed (and Don displaced while that was happening), and I needed a bath and a good hair-washing. But it's quite a memory.

Thank goodness we didn't make any memories last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am from Wetumpka. Whose link did you click on that brought you to mine? What's your brothers name?

Patti Doughty said...

My brother's name is Chuck Hunt. He has a son, about your age (I think) named Chad Hunt and another younger son named Claude. Chad lives in North Carolina now but Claude's still in the area.

I was visiting Bomba Days. I read Eric every now and then. He had a quote from a book that he had seen on Jared Smith's Blog, so I buzzed over there. Jared has you wetumpka listed on his sidebar along with other Blogs to visit. I got real excited and clicked over, then got confused because you didn't live in Wetumpka, it had nothing to do with your Blog Title or your sign-on name, and it didn't enter into any of your profile information.

You actually could pass, at least from this picture, for one of my nephews. I'd be thrilled if you actually knew them. They live at Emerald Mountain in Wetumpka.

Ring any bells?