Search This Blog

Monday, February 06, 2006

Whining about Wine

Don and I are attempting to, periodically, have a special meal on Saturday night that is a Christian adaptation of the Jewish Sabbath Meal. It's called a Lord's Day Meal and it focuses on inviting the Lord into our home and entering into the Sabbath in peace and focused on the Lord. Two of the elements of this celebration are tearing a loaf of bread and passing it around the table with each attendee breaking off a hunk and sharing it. Another is the passing of the Sabbath cup. A blessing cup is filled with wine. Each attendee is passed the cup, has an opportunity to thank the Lord for whatever's on their heart, and takes a sip before passing the cup on.

Two weekends ago, we had a Lord's Day Meal. I filled a glass with wine left over from the ONE box I bought for Don's 40th birthday party in September. Knowing that Don wasn't going to drink the wine and we certainly wouldn't allow the children anything more than a tiny sip, when it was my turn, I took a large gulp. The level in the glass dropped dramatically.

Daelyn: "Mommy sure loves her wine."

I sure hope he doesn't say this in public, out of context. This comment could be seriously misunderstood.

Recently, I began seeing a new doctor. As he was reviewing the information sheet with me
about my medical history, he asked if I drank alcohol.

Me: "I wish!! I'd really like to."

The problem is, the sheet asks how many glasses of alcohol you consume in a week, to which I had responded "0", zero, the old nothing. It doesn't ask how many in a year, or even a month. I'm sure if I put the truth, 1/8 glass/week, they'd laugh me out of the office or think I had made some sort of mistake.

And how much wine do I consume on a Sunday from the Communion chalice? What percentage of a glass is that sip?

Someday, I'll be able to have a nice glass of wine with dinner on weekends. I'm not interested in beer or mixed drinks, but some red wine occasionally, for intestinal health and overall happiness, simply for my own pleasure, would be very nice.

I just need to make sure I don't do it in front of Daelyn. The last thing I need is my son announcing in public that his Mommy likes her wine.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Red wine is one of the best things you can drink. It is SO good for your heart and arteries. 1 to 1.5 glasses a day for women or 1.5 to 2 glasses a day for men is recommended.
Too much has the opposite effect though.
Have a glass for me. I like Shiraz or Beaujolais Villages (said in French).

Cheers!

Kim said...

Merlot for me :).

In an effort to limit my calorie intake, I try to keep it down to one or the other: my big evening choice -- Dessert or a glass of wine. Sometimes, if I choose the Red Wine, I eventually end up having the dessert, too...(a new variation on the having my cake and eating it too....)