Search This Blog

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Donovan Challenges

Last night, I put the puppy to bed in his kennel, then realized I had a few last-minute things to finish up before bed. I'm sure he heard me in the Den, because he started barking. I was so focused on my chores, I didn't really pay attention -- until I went to bed. The kitchen is on the other side of the master bedroom and there's no insulation in the wall between our headboard and the kitchen. Huge mistake in the design of our home. Most nights, the chug-chug-chug of the dishwasher lulls us to sleep. Last night, however, Donovan's barks and whines were, literally, bouncing off the walls and reverberating in our bedroom. I'm sure it was even worse than being in the same room with him.

After laying there for 1/2 an hour with no evidence of his wailing diminishing, I went into the kitchen to check up on him. I let him out of his kennel, he ran for the waterbowl and downed a good bit of water. Then I re-kenneled him and walked out of the dark kitchen. The fuss that ensued was sure to wake even the neighbors. I finally gave in and let him follow me to bed, where he was so excited, he wiggled, yelped, licked, nibbled, panted, wagged his tail, and wiggled some more. Needless to say, there was NO sleep for me or Don.

I kept trying to settle him down, but he's a loud thing. Even though I finally convinced him to lay still next to me, he was panting with his tongue hanging out, a sound difficult to obtain optimum dream power while listening to. And he was restless. He really couldn't seem to be still.

All of this was a bit of a surprise to me. Don usually send him in to me after he tinkles in the early morning. After greeting me, he settles right down for a good nap, snuggled against me under the covers. He's quiet, lethargic, and snuggly. NOT last night, though. Finally, Don got up (I have no idea what time, but it might have been 3 a.m. or so) and I asked him to take the dog back to his kennel so I could fall asleep.

"And don't send him back to me after he tinkles!!" I warned, a glare in my voice. I had had just about enough of little puppy.

So, exhausted and grumpy, Daelyn climbed in bed with me this morning.

"Mama, can I let Donovan out so he can snuggle with us in the bed?" he asked innocently.

"No!!!" I practically shrieked. "DO NOT BRING HIM IN HERE. And be quiet so he doesn't know we're up yet."

The innevitable, however, happened. He heard us and began barking. I finally relinquished when Dane begged me and he took the pup out to tinkle before letting him loose, then ran to my bed himself to snuggle "loud, wiggly puppy". Donovan was very apologetic, and I had no choice but to forgive him, even though I made sure he knew I wasn't happy with him.

Tonight will be interesting. After barking his way into our bed, I'm not sure he'll be willing to settle down tonight in his kennel. My one saving grace is that he's going to the vet's tomorrow to board for the weekend, which I'm sure will break many bad habits.

He'll have to be neutered in a couple of months and I don't want that to be his first experience staying overnight at the vet's. And, occasionally, we might need to board him for out-of-town vacations, so he needs to get used to it. I can hardly stand the thought of him being away from me all weekend, but I know it's necessary. Anyway, it'll will give us a chance to break those bad habits, such as barking until Mommy lets him out of his kennel.

At least I hope!!

No comments: