Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

Jedi Moms

Deanna's home sick from school today. Apparently, she had a sore throat all weekend, but didn't want to tell me because she knew how busy I was. She mentioned it to her Daddy, who also thought better of telling me. By yesterday, she was feeling pretty rough and rougher still this morning. Her tonsils are swollen and her body aches. I gave her a dose of DayQuil, made her a cup of hot lemonade, and she's propped up on the loveseat watching Star Wars.

It's interesting how the Jedi Knights can manipulate others by suggestion. Obi-Wan comments that it only works on the weak-minded. While I certainly don't want weak-minded children, wouldn't it be nice if we could parent by suggestion?

"You want to clean your room until it's spotless," I whisper under my breath.

"Mom," Deanna would respond, "I don't think I want to go outside and play today. I'd rather stay in my room and clean it until it's spotless."

"You want to straighten up the toyroom and get rid of 2 bagsful of toys you don't use anymore."

"Gee, Mom," Daelyn would say, "it's amazing how many toys we have that I don't really need. I'm going to clean up the toyroom and get rid of a few things."

After a few more whispers, Dane would volunteer, "I'm going to take the puppy for a long walk. Then I think I'll clean all the piles up out of the yard so it's all clean and neat. Do you have any chores YOU need me to do, Mom?"

Jedi Moms. That's what we all need to be.

No comments: