Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

Camping and Countries

Deanna's class did a Country Day today. Their Country reports have been graded and they were to dress in a costume of their country today for school. They were presented to the entire school at Opening Assembly and told who they were and the country they chose and why.

The parents were invited to the Assembly and to the classroom afterwards to view the reports. They were excellent. Amazing that these little 4th graders could do such good, thorough work. They hand-drew country maps showing major cities and rivers and another with goods and natural resources show by key across the country. They also hand-drew pictures of the country's costume. There were pages on Location, People, History, and Climate and they included pictures of the country at the end.

Then, at 11:00, we were to bring a food dish from our child's country - enough for 16 small portions. Don and I rushed home after viewing the reports and I started fish and chips with malt vinegar for Deanna. I tried to make it as authentic as possible (Deanna did England), but you just can't get 14" long battered cod here, nor chips like they make in England. But I cut a plastic cookie container from Kroger open , washed it out, and used it for the fish and chips. I had a roll of brown paper, which I wrapped the food in, just like in England. So, while the look may not have been strictly authentic, and the fish was nowhere near as buttery and crisp, the outside package looked and smelled just like the stuff we brought home from the Chip Shop in Culcheth. And I poured Lemon-Lime soda into a pitcher with ice and took it along as well - English Lemonade.

The kids must have had a sumptuous feast. The food smelled amazing. There was paella from Spain, Belgian waffles and Belgian chocolate from guess where, a Mexican dish with potatoes, another with potatoes, chicken and rice from Togo, Irish Soda Bread, and lots of others I didn't get to see. When I arrived with my food, music class was going on and the 4th graders were dancing around their classroom, having a wonderful time.

Now we're packing to go camping. Deanna's little girl's group, Little Sisters, which is like Brownies or Campfire Girls, is going to the lake tonight camping and I'm one of the chaperones. We're leaving at 4:15. We try and do a camping trip every year with this group, and I usually do the cooking, but I'm not the head leader this year, so we'll see if I get enlisted or not. In any case, you could feel the excitement in the air when I got to the school to pick the kids up. Dane was nowhere to be found. I finally left Deanna and Daelyn in the car and walked into the Courtyard where the Elementary dismissed to, looking for him. I caught sight of his teacher walking towards the school building. Apparently, they had JUST returned from an all-day field trip and the kids were running into the building to get their bookbags.

Too much fun for one day. And another night's worth for my kids - Deanna camping at the Lake, Dane and Daelyn camping at home with Dad.

Was life this much fun when I was growing up? I'm either too old to remember or too busy keeping up with my children's schedules.

No comments: