Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Illness & the Grumpies

Deanna's still home sick and Dane stayed home today, too. He was feeling very sick to his stomach last night. Thinking he might just be overheated (he suffered from a mild version of heat exhaustion a year ago and now is very over-sensitive to heat) after baseball practice and cub scouts back-to-back last night, I snuggled him for a while, then sent him off to bed.

This morning when I woke him for school, he said he felt like he was going to throw up and his throat hurt. Last year he had an incident at school where he complained about his stomach hurting, then threw up in the classroom. I picked him up and, while we were sitting on the loveseat in the den together, he began breaking out in a rash. I took him to the pediatrician who did a throat culture and confirmed that he had strept throat and scarlet fever. He never ran a temp, never complained of his throat hurting - just his stomach. Yesterday while Deanna was home, a friend called and mentioned that strept is going around the school, so I decided it was best to keep Dane home.

Mid-morning, I checked on Deanna. She said she feels better than she's felt in a week. She's going back to school tomorrow. And Dane seems to be pretty perky, eating just fine.

Having all three children together in the house, though, is like caging a lion, a hyena, and an alligator together. During the summer, they have lots of distractions, but when they're sick, they just need to stay quiet and stay in. So they're AT each other. There's been yelling, crying, fighting, and that's just from me.

I'm sending Deanna and Dane off to different bedrooms for a nap and Daelyn's gone to a friend's house to play. Hopefully, I can get something done while they're quietly locked away.

Here's to summer. I better start planning now to keep them occupied - for my own sanity's sake.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Amen to that!