Search This Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Around here, we share!

Dane ran a fever all weekend. It started Friday night and kept me from being able to go to the Crosswalk and spend time on Good Friday preparing for Easter. By Saturday night, I was really worried about him. He had broken out in blisters between his top lip and nose that were filled with green pus. His nose was nasty and he seemed to need to blow it every 20 seconds. I called the nurse on call for my pediatrician and she told me her guidelines read that I need only be concerned if his fever was for 72 hours. I missed out completely on Easter.

Don arrived home from England on Friday night to a very happy Mommy. So, Daddy took his oldest and youngest to church on Easter and I stayed home with sick boy. By Sunday night, Daelyn's throat was REALLY red and was hurting, so I kept both boys home from school on Monday and scheduled appointments for all three - Deanna was sporting a nasty cough.

Turns out, Deanna has a sinus infection. Dane has a very severe sinus infection and Daelyn has strept throat. Our pediatrician started all three on antibiotics and the boys couldn't go back to school until Wednesday.

Around Monday, Don mentioned that he was feeling poorly. By Tuesday, I had a sore throat and a headache. Tuesday night, I got the shakes and couldn't stop shivering. I ran the bath as hot as our water will run and stepped into it, hoping to scald the fever out of me. No luck. As soon as I stepped out of the bath, I began to shiver and shake again.

By Wednesday morning, I was in rough shape. My throat and neck were killing me, I was sore and stiff all over, and my head pounded. I was running a temp of 101.9. By the evening, it peaked at 102.4. Last night, Don and I got the kids to bed rather late, then headed to bed ourselves at 9 p.m. My fever broke during the night and I woke up dripping with sweat.

Don and I are both feeling better today, but not quite up to running speed. Dane has a state report on Washington due tomorrow that he was assigned the day before Easter break and wasn't reminded about since he hadn't been at school. Deanna's big 5th grade state report was due two days ago, her huge test for which she had to know every state capital, the great lakes, the Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and Mississippi River locations, and be able to write the names of every state on a map of the U.S. was today. Tomorrow, she has to dress in her state costume (which she's decided will be ski bibs since her state is Colorado) and take in a state food (salsa - there's a HUGE Hispanic population in Colorado - the 5th largest of any state in the country, and Colorado holds an annual Chile Festival), so I've had a little bit to do around here.

To add to our stress, we have to leave after school tomorrow for a weekend celebration out of town. We're not exactly prepared.

I'd better get to bed. I just realized I haven't made any arrangements for Donovan for the weekend. I'm going to need lots of energy tomorrow.

No comments: