Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Coming and Going

We got home yesterday from West Virginia. We had a wonderful visit with Don's parents and it was very relaxing, despite the continuous rain. On my birthday, Monday, Deanna and I had some errands to run, so we picked up some crafts for the boys to keep them occupied in case of rain. We were very pleased the next day that we had taken the plunge when we woke up to a monsoon.

We also made incredible time traveling - both directions. We left home right about 4 a.m. last Friday morning and arrived at my in-law's at 1:30, having had lunch even. It usually takes us about 12 hours and it's not unheard of to stretch the trip to 14 hours. The children, the dog and I made it in 9 1/2! We did even better on the return trip. I wanted to avoid traffic so I attempted to leave even earlier - at 3:30. However, Don wanted me to call him before we left and, when I did, he was driving to work and couldn't take down my cell phone number, so I had to wait for him to get to work and call me back. We pulled out of the driveway at 3:45 a.m. and arrived home at 12:20 - a miraculous 8 hours and 35 minutes later.

The children are becoming so much better at traveling. We only stopped once - for them to dress and go to the bathroom and so I could get gas. Then we drove through a Burger King and got a biscuit for me and cheesy tots for the kids to go with their cold cereal and milk. When they began getting bored, they'd entertain each other. We sang songs, listened to a CD, visited, and they played with the dog. It was a very pleasant drive with no grumpies or fussies.

We were prepared to pick Don up from the airport at 9 tonight. At 6:16 a.m. (why has this week involved so many early mornings? The children are out of school! Can I not PLEASE sleep?) the phone rang. Knowing it had to be Don, I quickly answered with the question, "What's up, honey?"

"They've overbooked the flight and want me to delay my travel until tomorrow."

"What are they offering?" I asked, willing my fuzzy brain to work.

"They'll fly me Business Class tomorrow (which means more perks than just the flight - he can board early and avoid the long lines, he can use the Business Class lounge in Manchester AND Atlanta for his lay-overs and they'll actually page him in the lounge to let him know when it's time to go board the plane, but, more importantly, they allow 30 more pounds per piece of luggage for all that English stuff he's bringing me!), they'll put me up overnight tonight, they'll give me 200 pounds in cash (English money, not weight), and a voucher for a future Delta flight."

I really didn't want Don to delay his flight by one day. When he first asked me about going back to England and told me they promised to have him home by Easter, I asked him to please get home before Good Friday so he could join me and the children for the meaningful activities that prepare us for Easter. I really wanted him back in time for Good Friday. Now, here he was calling, asking me if he could delay his return one day, missing Good Friday. I was very conflicted.

"What do you want to do, honey," I asked.

"Well, it's a pretty good deal."

"Tell them 'yes' and I'll see you tomorrow night."

These last 39 hours are, by far, the hardest. I've missed him more today than I have for days at a time. But soon. He'll be home soon.

Still have that wine . . .

No comments: