Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Missing Don

I'm really starting to miss Don. Truthfully, though, it has been a little easier this time - possibly because I've just been so busy and, also, having Nicki living with us means I'm not alone all night. But the resolve is wearing thin and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to tear up everytime I talk with him.

I missed speaking with him yesterday. I tried to call once and couldn't get through. By the time I got back around to it, it was too late in England. I needed to hear his voice and just have a chance to visit with him today, but he was having dinner with some co-workers/friends when I called and didn't really have time to talk. He encouraged me to call back later, but I have to take the children to choir practice during the time that he should be moving towards home for the night. I may just try and call him during the day tomorrow, although I have tons to do to get ready for our trip to West Virginia.

My mother-in-law wrote and said they had 4 inches of snow on Sunday. The children are ever so hopeful it'll snow again while we're there. I bought Dane and Daelyn both new winter coats while we were out shopping for Easter after school yesterday. They both needed warmer coats (Dane's is just a shell with no lining for warmth) and K-Mart had them at 50% off the final clearance price. I got them both really nice coats for $10 each.

Dane was ecstatic and kept commenting that they might need heavy coats in West Virginia. If they had snow at my in-law's on Sunday, Virginia will probably be quite cold. It's usually about 15 degrees colder in parts of Virginia through which we must drive than in West Virginia. Once, coming home during Holy Week, we hit a blizzard in Virginia and there was quite a bit of snow and ice. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel to eat and were afraid we wouldn't be able to get back out of the parking lot.

When I chokingly told Don today that I was missing him terribly, he said, "Only a little while now, Mommy, and I'll be home." That's true. He's halfway through his trip. And this time, things seem to have gone a little smoother for him. He's much more comfortable this time and has a vehicle to drive.

I can't even begin to imagine how I'd function if my husband worked out-of-town routinely. I suppose our life would be very different, but I'd hate to give up my dependence on Don. I was single for so many years, waiting to marry and be able to rely on another person. I'm not quite willing to give it up after only 12 years.

One more week. I can do that. I've got a big bottle of wine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Patti,
I've got cheese and crackers to go with that wine.
God bless you!
Andree