Search This Blog

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Prayerful Issues

Don and I are trying to make a very important decision and could really use prayer. We've spent the last 2 1/2 weeks praying together daily about this issue and asking the Lord to unite us and to give us clear signs as to what He would have us do. We've sought Wise Council and are now in the discussion phase.

We really want to be in the center of God's perfect will for us and our family. We've asked that He clearly block this and that that be our sign or that He swing the doors wide open. So far, there have been no roadblocks.

I'm not willing to say that lack of discernable roadblocks mean this definitely is what the Lord wants. It's so easy to interpret signs the direction you want them to point. But I do think it means that the Lord MIGHT want this to happen.

What complicates things so much more for me is that Don and I are such opposites. Don is VERY slow to make decisions. Although I may think about an issue for a long time, I tend to ponder it in my heart and never mention it until I've made my decision. Then, I'm ready to act immediately. In almost every other way, also, Don and I think at opposite ends of the spectrum. Often it's laughable how differently we think and still love and respect each other so much.

My natural inclination is to do the research involving any issue, pray, seek wise counsel, then act. Don's typical course of action is to pray, pray, pray, ponder, pray, pray, pray, ponder . . . until the issue goes away or resolves itself. It's very difficult for me to have done the research, prayed, sought wise council, and then sit and wait while Don works through his extensive and slow process. But out of love and respect for him, it's necessary that I allow him to work through issues the way he needs to.

I try very hard not to nag. I try very hard not to bring the topic up. I try very hard to keep myself busy with other things. I try very hard to allow him the time he needs.

Often, I fail. I don't mean to make excuses for my shortcomings, but I am human. If Don and I could both learn to meet somewhere in the middle - me spend more time pondering, Don spend a little less - making any decision may be easier for us.

He's such a sweet and darling man, such a great father and wonderful husband. After the timeframe that we agreed to pray and discern, I broached the subject.

"So, honey, what do you think God is saying to us?"

"I DON'T know!" he said in a frustrated, yet somewhat resigned tone. The truth is, I don't know either. The path has NOT been clearly marked for us. And neither of us really believe that this is a situation where one path is the "right" path and one the "wrong" path. It's more of a good, better, best scenario, and we both want the best. We're just not sure which is good and which is best.

Please pray with us. Ask the Lord to light up the runway for us so we can see our way in the dark. Ask him to bond us even tighter together so this decision can be made by two people who function as one. Ask that if hearts need to be changed or softened that they be changed or softened. And ask the Lord, for my sake, to speak clearly to my husband sooner as opposed to later.

If and when we have an answer, I'll let you know. Until then, keep us lifted up.

No comments: