Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect

In early spring, Don and I were trying to decide whether or not to sign Dane up for baseball. His birthday isn't until June 14, so he's still actually 8 and would be in the machine-pitch league. However, since he has a late birthday, the Athletic Director told us that we could apply for a Dispensation so he could play on the Live Pitch with the other boys in his class. Live Pitch teams are chosen using try-outs.

Dane wanted to play and he wanted to be in the 9 and 10-yr. old Live Pitch League. We explained to him that since he would be trying out and the coaches do a schoolyard pick based on the try-outs, he may not make the team with his classmates. He said he wanted to try, anyway.

The day of the try-outs, he had been sick for 2 days and was running a hefty fever. We were told when we signed him up that he HAD to make it to try-outs if he wanted any chance of being on the team coached by his classmates' dads. He drug himself out to the field, me worrying the whole time.

His try-out was okay, but not great. He caught EVERY outfield ball (which was pretty amazing and showed a huge improvement over last year), but didn't get his mitt down close enough to the ground to pick up the grounders for the first few. Finally, he bent lower and got some. Batting was another can of worms. He's a fair batter, but just as he was in position, a coach stopped him, moved him, repositioned his bat, and it really knocked him off his stride. He missed the first 3 pitches but finally connected a couple of times with the ball.

Knowing how bad he felt, I was very pleased, but the coaches had no idea how sick this boy was and the conditions under which he was trying out. We prayed - not that Dane would make the team with his classmates, but that the Lord would put him on the team where He wanted him. Our prayers were answered.

The coach for Dane's classmates' team later told me that Dane got picked in the second round. I just couldn't believe it. Since then, I've asked his coach what he saw in Dane.

"He looked like he was having fun out there," he said. "And I also got the impression from him that he loves to play ball - any position, any time. He just loves the game." He added that he remembered Dane from last year and had been impressed then with Dane's love of ball.

"You see, I've been doing this for a long time. I've gotten pretty good at sizing kids up. Often, the kids that are really good are only in the game for themselves. They don't care about the rest of the team. They're hotdoggers who want all the glory. Dane struck me as the kind of kid that wants to be a part of something and will do exactly what he's told. I can win games with a player who's good and who listens to instructions. And Dane's never disappointed me. He always listens and does exactly what I tell him. He soaks it all in, and I really like that."

It's true. Dane listens carefully to everything the coach says. It's a shame he can't rattle off verbatim the things I tell him about life and chores the way he remembers what Coach says. And this Coach works with Dane. He's teaching him how to bat better. The assistant coach spent a good bit of time talking with me one evening about the length and weight of Dane's bat and advising me as to what kind he needs.

One day I asked the Coach if he'd work with Dane on pitching a little bit.

"I'm sorry. I haven't worked with him, because I didn't think his arm was strong enough to pitch, but I'll be happy to teach him some of the basics," he said.

"It's just that I'd like him to learn the technique, even if he never pitches. If you could teach him HOW to wind up, he could practice at home. He really does love the game and wants to learn every aspect of it."

Coach worked with him, explained that the real power in pitching isn't from the arm, but the legs. He explained that Dane would have to have the balance and poise of a ballerina. He gave him exercises to do, perching on one leg with the other bent at the knee, toes pointed downward. He told Dane to get in that position, then hold it for a 10-count. Dane's been faithfully practicing.

So faithfully, in fact, that his daddy went out and bought him a Pitch-back. Dane loves it and it really has helped with his placement and aim. Everyday he doesn't have a game, he's out in the backyard practicing.

After his game last Thursday, the coach told the players that there was an optional practice Saturday morning.

"I'll be out here at 10:00, if anyone want to come and practice," he said. Dane was there. Don canceled the fishing trip he was planning with the boys, and took Dane over to the field. The coach decided to do Pitching Practice.

Dane flew through the door around 12:15, running into the kitchen, obviously bubbling over.

"Guess what, Mom, " he shouted out of pure excitement. "I GET TO PITCH AT THE NEXT GAME!"

The coach had been favorably impressed with Dane's progress and promised him a spot on the mound at the game tonight. He may only pitch a part of an inning, depending on how well he does, but he at least will get a chance. Not bad for a boy who started this season never having wound up before.

We're praying he does REALLY well and will get lots more chances. In any case, I couldn't be prouder.

My son - the ball player!

No comments: