Search This Blog

Friday, May 02, 2008

Thus and Such

It's been an eventful week. Dane's baseball team has had three games. Unfortunately, they're yet to win, which I find surprising since their team has 5 or 6 returning players and they've taken the championship 7 times. No such luck this year.

Dane has played quite well. The first play of the first game was a hit that went straight to him in right field. His quick response and good throw resulted in the first out. He was psyched. In the second game his first-base run began the streak that loaded the bases. Last night, he was on the bench letting some of the other boys play. His game was to start at 7:30, but it never really starts until at least 8:00. He came dragging through the door just before 10.

"I never got to play, Mom," he whined. Shocked by the news, I began asking questions. Turns out, they didn't even finish the first inning. The game was called with a score of 11 - 7 before the first inning was over. No wonder Dane didn't get to play. He never got up to bat and the coach was letting some other boys play outfield. I'm sure Dane would've been put in the game by about the third inning, but they never got that far.

Daelyn started coughing yesterday while doing his homework. It got worse as the day wore on. He coughed all night long and I decided to keep him home from school today. I guess I'll be going to T-ball this afternoon without him. One of my friends and I started a backyard t-ball league for the Kindergarteners and I have to be there this afternoon to work with the children.

This weekend, there is a work party to build a ramp to the front door of my sister's house so Amanda can get in the house when she's able to go home. Alex is coming over to help my brother-in-law and they expect to be able to complete it.

Don has a sleep study tonight to figure out why the man is awake half the night. Night before last, I awoke around 2 am to discover Don was no longer in the bed. Last night he took one of my Ambiens so he could get some sleep. I was able to wake up to my husband this morning - something that RARELY happens around here, and it was wonderful. We're praying they'll be able to diagnose him and solve the problem.

One last little tidbit. The company Don works for has lost the contract at the nuclear plant where Don works. They appealed the decision by the Department of Energy and the final response to the appeal came out this week. It was denied so Don will no longer be working for Washington Group shortly. When he got home from work last night, he told me that he had received a call from the man who was the Project Manager for the England project, Dan Curry. Dan will be in this area in a couple of weeks and asked Don if we could join him for dinner. Don says he wants to thank us once again for the sacrifices we made to complete the project. I raise my eyebrows, wondering how Don can be so naive. Obviously, he's going to offer Don a job. It'll be interesting to see what he's offering and how Don wants to proceed. It's a little scary to think that Don may want to consider a job that would require him to travel without us. I'm just not sure how we'd cope, but, ultimately, it's his decision. I guess we'll see on May 21. Maybe Don's right and he just wants to thank us . . . yet again.

I hadn't yet mentioned, but Nicki, our single friend who moved in with us before Christmas, moved out a couple of weeks ago. She moved back home. We miss her terribly. But we've been so busy we haven't even had a chance to see her since she left.

Summer's just one short month away. I can't wait for peace and quiet, although that might be a pipe dream with the children home all day long every day. At least we won't have to rush for awhile. And that's worth waiting for.

No comments: