Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Not a Bad Place to Be

I guess today is a day for updates. Eventually, I'll get some new material and get off the same stale old topics.

I wrote about Turtle-y a few days ago. He escaped on Saturday but reappeared again before dark that evening. We've continued to feed and water him under the gardenias.

Yesterday, after talking with my Mom while driving to my sister's, I suggested to the children that we move him from under the gardenias to under the deck. We thought it'd be cooler there for him and he could wander out into the grass, if he wanted. So, after school, Dane and I moved his water pan, refilled it, and move Turtle-y. Later, we checked on him under the deck, but he was nowhere to be found. I thought for sure he had left home.

Deanna wanted to play in the hose, it was so warm out, so I agreed. She and Daelyn donned their bathing suits and headed out to the backyard. I heard Deanna shriek from the faucet.

"Turtle-y, I almost stepped on you! What are you doing over here?" I ran to look and there he was, on the cement next to the faucet.

Dane and I discussed whether or not to return him to his spot under the deck. We decided to leave him alone, thinking that perhaps he was exploring his new surroundings.

After dinner, I couldn't stand it any longer. I went looking for him. On a hunch, I checked the gardenia garden. Sure enough, he was under the gardenias, dug into the cool dirt below the pine bark mulch.

This morning, I encouraged Dane to put his water pan back under the gardenias. Apparently, he's chosen a home, to which he returns after field trips, and he needs his water nearby. Dane moved it back and filled it for our new little pet.

I helped out at the school this morning then stopped to check on the little guy after pulling into the driveway at home. He was sitting in the middle of his water pan, enjoying the coolness.

Yep, we've got a new pet. Perhaps we ought to think through a more clever name for him.

No comments: