Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Rest of the Story

I'm sure you must be quite bored by now with baseball news, but I have yet another story in the "Dane pitching" saga.

He had his team pictures today and, on the way from the parking lot, we ran into his coach and walked together.

"I'm putting Dane in as pitcher again the next game," he told me.

"T.J., I don't get it. WHY are you putting him in? He walked two batters." I don't mean to be unkind, but let's be realistic here. I love my son and think he's a wonderful ball player, but I want us to win at least one game this season.

"Patti, didn't you watch him?" he looked funny at me.

"No. I couldn't see his pitches from where I was sitting," I explained.

"Every single one was directly over home plate. Not a one was to the right or left. They were perfect pitches, just a little too high. If he can just learn to pull them down a little, he'll nail it every time." He sounded like a father, bragging about his boy.

"Well, he's done exactly what you recommended. His daddy bought him a pitch-back and I got him a football, and he's throwing the football at the pitch back 50 times per day, per his daddy's instructions."

"And you can tell." He gave me some tips on how I can work a little more with Dane but was very encouraging about his pitching.

I guess so. I had no idea his pitches were so straight. We just need to bring them down a little. T. J. thinks it has something to do with how far he stands from the pitch-back when he practices.

He's getting another try on Tuesday. And his team will be playing his best friend's team. If he's going to walk a player, let's hope it's Tim.

No comments: