Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Ending

"I declare the Games of the XXIX Olympiad closed . . . " My heart dropped.

I've loved this Olympics, maybe more than any of the others I've watched diligently over the years. In 1972, we were in Belgium during the Olympics. That was the year of ongoing controversy for the Olympics. It included the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes, the gold medals in basketball going to Russia in the most controversial game of any Olympics before or since (the American team to this day has refused to accept the silver medals the IOC attempted to award them), two American runners being disciplined for their lack of respect on the gold and silver platforms during the playing of their (our) National Anthem, and several other ongoing problems. It was also the year the world was introduced to Olga Korbut and Mark Spitz won his 7 Golds in swimming, which remained an Olympic record until this year's run by Michael Phelps.

The young people on our military base (S.H.A.P.E. Headquarters) in Mons, Belgium, gathered around a small t.v. set in the Teen Club. There was not even a square inch of space on the floor and we spilled out the door and into the large hallway. Some of us couldn't even see the television set, but we could hear the Commentator. We all watched (or listened) in rapt silence as Spitz and Korbut made history. One of the American gymnasts was a friend of one of the girls who went to school with us, so we faithfully watched every bit of gymnastics coverage and celebrated each victory together. The events bonded us all to each other even more and gave us yet another thing in common - we were AMERICANS, after all.

I was 11 years old and those Games are ingrained on my memory. Since then, I've been a faithful follower of the Olympics. By the time the next Olympics rolled around, my oldest sister was married to a California boy whose brother was an alternate on the Olympic wrestling team. In 1980, the amazing American win in Ice Hockey captivated the whole world. The Goalie, Jim Craig, lost his father to cancer during the Olympics (I think that was the story - it's hard now to remember) and his team's rise to Gold was dedicated to their friend as he postponed his grieving to accomplish the impossible. I watched every second.

Yes, I'm a believer in the Olympics. In the closing coverage last night, Chris somebody (an NBC Football commentator) said that for two weeks every two years, there is no division between countries. We all come together in one place, put our differences aside, and choose sportsmanship over petty gripes. And it's true. The Olympics are energy. They're electric. You can feel the tenseness, the joy, the complete surrender as you watch. You're swept away in the flood of emotion and all the problems of the world melt away as American pride replaces all else.

Deanna asked me at the beginning of this Olympics why I love them so much.

"Because the Olympics are magic," I told her. When one eyebrow went up, I tried to explain further.

"Things happen during the Olympics that could never happen anywhere else. And if you're not watching, you'll miss it!" I don't think she understood until Nastia Liukin took the all-around Gold in Gymnastics. Over the 18 days of coverage, I watched as the Olympics grabbed Deanna's spirit. She's 11 now - the same age I was when I realized the potential of the Olympics.

This morning, we're watching a DVD Don made of some of the events we missed. Right now, a Men's Volleyball match (U.S. vs. Brazil, who we eventually beat for the Gold) is playing and she's watching. After Michael Phelps finished his 8th race in first place, I ran into her bedroom to give her the news. She had been in bed for 2 hours, but was wide awake. She couldn't sleep, waiting to see if he would accomplish his goal. I let her come back into the Den for the after-race pandemonium - both on TV and in our house.

We'll be watching these DVD's for a long time to come and remembering the excitement that is the Olympics. About the time they get old, it'll be February, 2010 and we'll be able to see the next Winter Games.

Despite the excitement and the performance of our U.S. Teams, my heart was heavy as the President of the IOC, Jacques Rogge, declared the Olympics closed last night. Time to get back to real life.

I just hope the lessons of selflessness, unfaltering bravery, tirelessly working towards a goal will remain with my family for a long time to come. And the memory of past Olympics will live on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cris Collingsworth is the NBC football analyst you referenced.

Patti Doughty said...

Thank you. I wasn't familiar with him (since I haven't watched football in the last 13 years), but I remembered his first name, at least. I think that's because what he said really struck me. If they had introduced him AFTER he talked, I may have remembered the whole name.

Patti