Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Post Op Visit

Had my post-op appointment yesterday. Although things went fine, the doctor didn't quite release me, which came as a surprise to me. No bending, no lifting, no reaching for at least 2 more weeks. Apparently, this surgery takes about 6 weeks to fully recover. Wonder why nobody mentioned that earlier.

The doctor told me that he had come to see me in Post Op and asked me if I remembered. I didn't. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty fuzzy about the whole day from the point the nurse said in the O.R., "We need to lower her stretcher a little more to get it even with the table." I don't know how they got me on the table. I certainly have no memory of moving.

The nurses also told me about conversations I had with them prior to me being aware of my surroundings again, so it seems I was able to talk and process info, just not remember it later. Anyway, the doctor told me that when he came to see me in Post Op, he said, "It's a BOY!" He went on to say that he uses that same joke after every sinus surgery he does. The nurses roll their eyes. Even if it was funny the first time they heard it, after the hundredth, it's lost any semblance of humor, according to the doctor.

"Did I laugh?" I asked him.

"No," he responded.

"I guess I didn't think it was funny, either," I told him. Truth is, I was so groggy, it's doubtful I even heard him. He grinned at me.

I'm still having headaches. When I asked him how long they'd last, he said, "I have no idea. Every patient is different and responds to anesthesia differently. I can't tell you how long it may take for you to get your strength back or get rid of the headaches. It'll take as long as it takes." That was when he broke the news to me that my REAL recovery time was 6 weeks.

I am more energetic. I've made dinner the last three nights and done breakfasts and lunches for the children. Tonight I began tackling the laundry. But I spend a good many hours each day just sitting, which is unusual for me. I almost never sit in the course of a day. I just am pooped and can't stand for very long. The house needs dusting again. I have no idea how everything gets so dusty so fast.

In general, however, I'm coming along just fine. For the next two weeks, I'll be daily flushing my sinuses, debriding all the junk left behind from surgery. I'll see the doctor again the day before Don's sinus surgery. What a way to end the summer.

I do have an urgent prayer request, though. My nephew, the one who lives in Alabama and was married the beginning of April - his wife had an emergency C-Section yesterday. The baby was in distress. It seems she had passed some miconium and breathed it into her lungs.

She was taken (my newest great-niece's name is Reagan Hunt) immediately into Intensive Care. Later in the afternoon, she was transferred to another hospital in Montgomery, Alabama and, at 3 a.m. today, they Medivaced her, by helicopter, to Birmingham to Children's Hospital, where they have a Neo-Natal ICU. She's fighting for her life at the ripe old age of 1 day.

I made arrangements today to take my mother to Birmingham so we could be near the baby. My nephew's wife, Rachel, is recovering from the trauma of an emergency Section and Chad needs to be with her. No one is with the baby. One day old, fighting for her life, and all alone. It breaks my heart.

So, I made plans, worked it out with Don and cleared my calendar. I made the decision that if any roadblocks were put in my path, I'd trust it was the Lord stopping me from going. Everything seemed to be lining up. Although me driving my mother to Alabama wasn't exactly the ideal, I didn't see any other options and couldn't stand the thought of that baby being alone. I called my mother to tell her I could drive her and she said that she didn't think she should go. Roadblock. She said that Rachel is expecting to get out of the hospital tomorrow and she, Chad, my sister-in-law, and Rachel's mother are going to drive together to Birmingham. Reagan needs her mommy and Rachel needs her daughter. The doctors want Rachel to breastfeed and are doing everything possible to make that happen, so my mother feels that her place is here, praying.

I was a little relieved, yet feel a huge burden. Please pray for Reagan, Chad and Rachel, and my brother and his wife. Their first grandbaby and going through such a difficult time.

I'm signing off for now. I'm tired (gee, big surprise) and want to rest on the couch, drink some hot tea, and watch the Olympics. Maybe it'll take my mind off that little baby.

No comments: