Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

My Head Aches!

I'm getting really tired of these headaches. Yesterday was the first day that I didn't pound from sun-up to sundown. I was hoping that meant I was through with the headaches. No such luck. I'm going to go lie down and see if I can't take the edge off it.

Dane has been sick for weeks. When we took him to West Virginia for his week with his grandparents, we ended up bringing him home with us because he was coughing and we weren't sure if he was on the way to getting sicker.

After our return, we took him to the Pediatrician, who said he thought it was just a cold, but gave us a prescription for antibiotic - just in case. He got worse so, about a week and a half later, we filled the prescription and started him on Amoxycillin (the weakest of the antibiotics - this is where our Pediatrician always starts). After a week of antibiotic, he was worse (does this sound familiar? Anyone? Anyone?) so I scheduled him to see the Pediatrician again last Monday. I was still recovering from my surgery and really couldn't leave the house, so Don took him in. They changed the antibiotic to a much stronger one but he continued to worsen. By Friday, he was coughing horribly, deeply, and the coughing was waking him at night. We called the Pediatrician's office and they scheduled him for a CT Scan of his sinuses and a lung X-ray today if he wasn't better.

I took him for his tests this morning (you guessed it - he's not better). Deanna watched Daelyn in a secure waiting room for me while I went back with Dane. I was afraid the noise of the CT would scare him and wanted to stay with him. After they got him positioned, the technician and I stepped through a doorway into the Control Room. There were two computer screens. I watched carefully as she programmed the test, then watched the results on the screen.

NOT GOOD NEWS! Although we haven't yet heard anything from a doctor, I've gotten pretty good at reading CT scans between Don's and mine. Dane's frontal sinuses (the same ones that prompted my surgery) looked pretty bad. They were full of infection. His ethnoids (the ones that Don's struggling with and having surgery on next week) have infection. There was some black in these, but definite infection. All the other sinuses had some black but lots of infection - not near as bad as my first CT, but definitely not clear, either. It'll be interesting to see how Dr. Miller proceeds.

I got a copy of his Scan on CD in case they refer him to an ENT, the same procedure I used. And I decided that if they do refer him, he's either going to the doc Don sees or the one who operated on me. Let's keep it all in the family. As Don asked his doctor, "Do you give a volume discount? Two for the price of one?"

We did manage to turn our day around, though, despite my headache. After his tests, we took a picture I had printed in color on plain paper of Dane with Donovan to Kinko's. We had put a caption on the bottom - A Dog and His Boy. It's a great picture that I took of the two this morning before we left. Anyway, we took it to Kinko's, had it put on glossy photo paper and blown up to an 11 X 17, then laminated it with heavy lamination. It looks wonderful. It's Dane's Christmas present to Donovan - a placemat with their picture on it.

Dane only has one Christmas present left to make. Over the weekend, he made a plaque for Don out of fuse beads that says, "World's Best Dad". He did the background in purple which is Don's favorite color. He made block letters and did them in black, then used purple beads to make two hangers on the top. We then added a magnet on the back and curled some wire, looping it through the hangers and adding some curls to make it look more attractive. It really looks great, and Dane is very pleased with his work.

After Kinko's, I took the kids to Logan's Roadhouse for lunch. From his side of our booth, Dane could see the Lobby TV and announced that basketball was on. I looked into the kitchen and saw a parking lot monitor. When the waitress came by, we asked her if she could change channels. The kids practiced throwing peanuts in the air and catching them in their mouths. Dane got pretty good. We had a very fun time.

Only two more weeks of summer vacation. What am I going to do when the children go back to school. I'm already missing them, thinking about it. But we've had a wonderful summer, spent lots of time together, and enjoyed the heck out of each other. This is the kind of summer I wish we had every year.

Minus, of course, the hospitalizations and surgeries.

No comments: