Search This Blog

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Liberty Oak

We got home from Hilton Head late Friday night and spent the day yesterday unpacking and trying to put order back in our home after Mommy being hospitalized for 3 days just prior to a week-long vacation.

In retrospect, our week was a lot of fun. Although I didn't get to spend a lot of time at the beach, there were lots of other things that happened. I was concerned about making sure the children enjoyed their vacation, and I think they did.

They took several trips to the beach and spent one afternoon at the pool. On the way home, we stopped at the Tanger Factory Outlet stores and got all three of them their winter wardrobes (excluding school uniforms, that is). We went to the Harry and David store and Dane managed to find bags of Truffles marked 50% off, so we bought two. I don't think most 9-yr. olds even know what Truffles are, but mine goes hunting for them in gourmet food stores.

We went out to Nick's Steak and Seafood one night. Deanna ordered fish and chips (she hasn't had any REAL fish and chips since we left England, and this was pretty authentic), Dane got his shrimp scampi (his absolute favorite food that he very seldom gets), and Don and I had nice steaks. We watched movies together and the children played cards with Grandma and Grandpa. Dane whomped everybody. Deanna made dinner one night for us - Mock Chicken Cordon Bleu with wild rice and fresh corn-on-the-cob. It was delicious and I was very proud of how accomplished she's gotten in the kitchen this summer.

Don took the children on several bike rides. I took them on one and went along with the whole family on another. We all went together to the Activities Center and had a air hockey tournament - Mommy RULES! - and played some ping-pong and feusball (did I spell that right?) . . . a very fun time.

Grandma and Grandpa decided to join us for our hour-long sales presentation. I always sign up for these - they give away good stuff. This year we got two checks for $50 - one for my in-laws and one for us to pay for gas and $100 in island cash that we used for dinner. We also got several other items, including two RCI bonus weeks. While sitting in a small room at a table with nothing to do while your parents are listening to a salesman may not seem like much fun to most children, they had a cappucino machine and I let each of the children have a cup of coffee. They thought they were really something, sitting at a round cafe table drinking latte's and cappucino.

I also talked Don and Grandpa into taking them to Harbor Town for the live entertainment under the old Oak Tree. If you don't know about this, look it up and plan it into your Hilton Head vacation - Greg Russell under the Liberty Oak. This same guy has been entertaining children six nights a week throughout the summer months for about 25 years now. I once heard the story of his beginnings, which is also very interesting, but I won't take the time here to tell about it.

Everyone had a wonderful time. Grandpa thanked me for encouraging them to go and commented that it was much better than he had expected. The children came home singing all kinds of new, goofy songs. Deanna told me one story that I loved. Greg's strength is his ability to play off the children that gather to listen to him. Children are spontaneous and have few inhibitions, and he's an expert at working that to his advantage.

Over the years, they've built a small, wooden-decking stage under the oak and set up benches for parents. The children all sit on the stage at Greg's feet. He uses wireless microphones and the tree is lit up with lighting, several spotlights trained on him. He strums the guitar and teaches the kids silly songs like "Is that a buger in the sugar?" and "Are we there yet?" and intersperses talking with the children. Deanna says there was one really cute little boy on stage. Greg asked him how old he was.

"Twee," the little guy responded. Greg loved that and made several jokes. According to Deanna, he informed the little guy that he was going to teach him how to say, "Three". In his efforts to help the child pronunciate, he pointed at the beautiful live oak tree overhead.

"What do you call that thing?" he asked.

The boy looked up at the tree, then looked back and Greg and responded, "Lights!"

By the way, I called the doctor yesterday. My headache has returned, I'm coughing up yellow again, and I have sharp pain in my nose when I cough. The doctor phoned in an antibiotic prescription for me and recommended I keep my appointment on Monday morning, which I fully intended to do anyway. I didn't get to sleep last night until sometime after 4:30 a.m. - the last time I looked longingly at the clock. It's not looking good for postponing the surgery until after school starts, so I'm trying to get all the laundry done and several meals cooked, just in case.

I could use a few special prayers. Don has worsened since coming home, also, and refilled, yet again, his antibiotic prescription. I don't know how he'll be able to hold out until August 27 for his sinus surgery. He's miserable.

Apparently our dog missed us pretty badly. He's been stuck to me like glue since we picked him up. Yesterday, I went outside to talk to Don who was mowing the lawn and Donovan got really shook up. By the time I came back in, he was crying at the back door for me. Pitiful.

But the children seem happier than I've seen them in a long time. I sure wish we had summer twice a year. They've needed this time with me and each other, and the vacation was a really good thing for them. Deanna, who's the least physical affectionate of my children, stopped me in the kitchen yesterday and asked if I'd give her a big hug. I was delightfully surprised.

So, life continues at the Doughty house. And we continue to pray for God's healing hand. We sure need it.

Lord, send your healing. Pour it over us like a drenching rain. Our spirits are parched and wounded and we need your hand upon us . . . like mercy drops falling from Heaven.

No comments: