Search This Blog

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Is that High Hopes I hear crashing?

I woke up this morning at 10 a.m., still drowsy, and dozed on and off until about 10:30. I have a weekly prayer commitment at 11 a.m. on Saturdays that I was determined to keep this week - I've had to trade off many so far this summer. I grabbed a quick breakfast and began my prayers. By about 11:40, I realized I was dozing again and not being faithful to pray.

I called to Don and explained to him that I was having difficulty and asked if he could finish off my commitment. He laid next to me on the bed and began, silently.

Me: "Honey, could you please read aloud so I can pray along with you?"

I'm not sure if he did or not. I awoke around 1:30 with stomach cramps.

It took everything I could muster to put one foot in front of the other and head to the bathroom. My legs feel like jelly and the rest of my body like the doughnut around the jelly. All I want to do is crawl back in bed and sleep for a day or two.

I haven't had any pain medicine at all today. This drowsiness must still just be the effects of anesthesia. The more I sleep, the more I want to sleep. Everytime I wake, briefly, I think I'm going to get a burst of energy. Not so far.

I just re-read my post from last night. No mail being sorted today. No Christmas wrapping getting done. Not even any visiting with the children. Other than Donovan snuggling up next to me periodically, my day has been about sleep, sleep, sleep.

Speaking of sleep . . .

4 comments:

Heather Raven said...

Patti,
Dr. Luis says that the effect from anasthesia can last up to six months. So, don't be too hard on yourself - your body has been through a lot.

Patti Doughty said...

Six Months!!! Gracious! And I'm pushing to be all better by six days. I realized yesterday was only the second day post-surgery, so I suppose my expectations were a little high. Thanks for the encouragement, Heather.

beckyviz said...

Heather beat me to the punch! That little tidbit of info came from the fact that after my hysterectomy, I was really getting worried about the amount of sleep I needed to function. Dr. Luis was very encouraging. And yes, it did take that long to feel normal again. I guess it all depends on how your body reacts to meds. If you are greatly affected by medicine, most likely it will take much longer to get over the anesthesia. Don't push it, hon! We are here if you need us!

Rachel said...

Patti, I have been out of the loop! I hope you are feeling better. Can't wait to start seeing you around again!