Search This Blog

Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent is on our Doorstep

No time this week for dilly-dallying, or for the next 3 weeks, actually. Over the weekend, I needed to make out menus for the next month and do the grocery list for the next week so Don could do the shopping, so we sat down with our calendars to plan December.

This week is the lull before the storm, and I'd better make good use of it. The Silent Auction is this Saturday and there's lots to do to prepare, but the evening this week shouldn't be TOO bad. However, starting Friday, with the set-up for the Auction (picking up large items, staging them at the Auction Site, finishing all the last minute paperwork and signage . . . ), the Auctions themselves on Saturday (two; one in the am, one in the pm), then a dress rehearsal on Sunday after church and Sunday School for the Christmas Program. Monday night I believe we can take a deep breath in preparation for "The Plunge": Tuesday night, a party; Wednesday night, the Church Program; Thursday night, the School Program; Friday afternoon, we get our tree; Friday night, the Church Adult Party; Saturday, our Tree Decorating Party . . .

However, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It seems like everything is falling during the same week this year. Then we're done and can relax and finish our preparations for Christmas and going to West Virginia.

I've also made a decision to Fast from Blogger and Facebook on Thursdays as well as social e-mails. If it's work-related, such as getting announcements in the Church bulletin, etc., I'll use e-mail, but not for anything social-related.

On Wednesday, as we were preparing for Thanksgiving, I decided I needed some music in the kitchen. Deanna's portable CD player that Don's sister gave her several years ago for her birthday was on the bureau in the dining room with two speakers attached. Deanna and I searched and searched for Praise Strings, but couldn't find it. We settled for Manheim Steamroller and Kenny G. and one on her CD player. When the CD was finished, I carefully removed it and put in the next one. After several hours, I realized there wasn't any music playing, but was tired of having to change out the CD's so often.

During dinner on Thursday, I turned the music on again. About mid-way through dinner, Deanna asked,

"What's that, Mama? I don't recognize that music."

I listened carefully. It wasn't either of the CD's I had picked. In fact, it was Amy Grant's Christmas Album.

I looked across the table at Don.

"Did you put another CD on?" I asked. He grinned at me. Suddenly, Deanna shouted,

"Oh, yeah, that's MY CD player from Aunt Sue!" as if I would know what that meant.

Turns out, this CD player has memory and Don had stored a number of discs on it last year at Christmas. It must hold several hours of music.

We had a lovely meal and didn't have to change out CD's once. So, I'm all set to turn up the music, pull out the broom, and begin preparing the house for Christmas. Then there's wrapping to do.

No comments: