Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gifts and Friends (or Surgeons)

Dane had to have additional sinus surgery yesterday. I took him for his 3 week post-op last week and the doctor attempted to look into his nose with a scope. The pain was a little too much for Dane and the doctor wasn't able to see anything except some scar tissue that had adhered his middle turbinates on both sides to the lateral walls of his sinus.

Without being able to move past the turbinate, he couldn't see into Dane's sinus'. Dane has been complaining of a lot of pain and was very congested, so Dr. Harmon was afraid he had gotten blocked up with blood and dead tissue that couldn't slough off and there was some concern that his sinus' weren't able to heal. He decided he HAD to put Dane back under, remove the scar tissue, clean up the surgical area, and take a good look at his progress.

It was only going to be a 10-minute procedure, but it meant going back under anesthesia which is the biggest risk, anyway, and all the pre-op preparation.

Dane's fine. Turns out, there wasn't any problem with the sinus'. They're healing just fine and the doctor didn't see any accumulation of anything. He removed the scar tissue and put some cellulose packing around the turbinate to keep it from re-adhering.

Dane had some bleeding and some pain yesterday but is much better today. The doctor thought he could likely return to school today, but with the bleeding last night and two doses of narcotic pain meds, I decided it was best to give his body at least one full day to heal before he jumped back into the routine. No Scouts last night, no school today. But he's doing much better and is driving me a little crazy. He's a very needy child when he's the only one home, and it was a challenge yesterday to get my daily chores accomplished.

Several weeks ago, during one of the many appointments with Dr. Harmon (either mine or Dane's), I was working on my Christmas list. Dr. Harmon noticed and casually asked if he and Kathy (his nurse, who's wonderful and has been an incredible help to us) were going to get Christmas presents. I didn't respond immediately.

"There it is," he said. "No response. I guess we know what that means, don't we, Kathy?"

"I'll bring Christmas presents to you," I responded, but not until I had thought it through for a few seconds. While I knew he was just joking with me, I have appreciated his care of me and Dane and thought it would be a nice gesture.

So, yesterday, before running out the door to get Dane to the Surgical Center, I grabbed something for Kathy, several gift tags, a gift bag, tissue paper, and Dr. Harmon's present - three gourmet butters from Hickory Farms (apple, peach, and pumpkin). I prepared their packages in the van on the drive (Don was driving - I wasn't wrapping presents while driving). Dr. Harmon LOVES gourmet foods and often talks cooking with me, once even recommending that he and I start a cooking show together.

"Wouldn't that be something?" he said. "The former Human Resources Generalist, now homemaker, and the Medical Doctor doing a cooking show!"

It would be fun to do something like that, I agreed. Anyhow, I thought the butters were the perfect gift for him and they came in a lovely gold foil box.

Upon arrival, Don and I were trying to figure out how to get the presents upstairs to the offices when Kathy appeared in the Surgical Center. I was delighted and gave both gifts to her. She had come downstairs to speak with Dr. Harmon and, when I saw him next, he was carrying the gift bag. Kathy must have passed it off to him.

"Mrs. Doughty, you shouldn't have," he said.

"It's just a little something to let you know I'm thinking about you, Dr. Harmon," I explained truthfully.

"I'm going to put it under my tree at home to open on Christmas," he told me. "It'll be the only present I have to open on Christmas."

"What!?!" I shrieked, unable to quite comprehend what he was saying. "What do you mean, your 'only present'?"

"We don't do presents anymore," he responded.

Don't "do" presents? I've never heard of such a thing! How could anyone not "do" presents on Christmas? I was absolutely appalled.

Turns out, five years ago, he swore off present-giving and donates a sizeable amount of money each year to a Veterinarian to care for indigent pets in honor of his wife and children. He says he's felt a freedom like never before these last five years.

"Christmas really is Christmas for me," he said, "without any other trappings. I'm able to enjoy Christmas for what it was intended to be."

He must've seen the look on my face (I'm quite sure it was impossible to miss) because he began questioning his decision. I told him a little about how I feel about Christmas. Then I told him I still believe in Santa Claus. After a few seconds of registering surprise, he smiled.

"I guess there really IS a Santa," he said. "After all, the Holy Spirit in each of us is really the spirit of Santa, after all."

"Exactly," I explained. "My children believe that Santa was appointed by God to share his love with the children of earth."

We talked a little more about Christmas and the joy I experience through it.

"Maybe I need to rethink my decision," he said, finally.

"No, no, Dr. Harmon," I said. "To each his own. If your decision brings you peace and joy, then that's exactly what you should do."

While Dane was in the Recovery Room, Dr. Harmon came in and was sitting on a stool at a desk making notes in somebody's file. He glanced over at us, then his eyebrows went up. He grabbed for the gift bag and started unwrapping his present.

"Why are you opening it now?" I asked. "I thought you were going to put it under your tree."

"Well, I decided I wanted to open it when you could see me." I reassured him that it was just a small thing. He opened the package and looked the butters over.

"When I was growing up, I used to make apple butter with my mother." He waxed philosophical for a few moments, then got quiet.

I hope he liked the gift. He seemed to. I had sort of thought of it as something of a gag gift. Not that I didn't think he'd like it, but I gave it sort of to give him a hard time since he had asked me if I was going to give him something. In the end, I really wanted him to like it and wished it had been more. And I think it DID mean something to him.

It's funny how God will turn the tables on you. Anyway, Dane's recovering well and I'm getting a few things done in preparation for Christmas - in my spare time.

No comments: