Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Food with a Twist

Last Saturday, while we were decorating our tree as a family, I decided to pull out the party foods. I had made a huge cheeseball, had crackers, Christmas cookies, beef stick, and I baked a luscious spiral ham that Don had picked up for me on sale recently. I basted the ham with the honey and spice packet they include and the ham was absolutely delicious. Daelyn asked a lot of questions about the "spiral ham", trying to figure out why it was called "spiral".

At 6:30 yesterday morning, my father was standing in his kitchen looking through sales newspapers when he heard the back doorknob rattle. He turned to find Daelyn trying to get in and quickly unlocked the door.

"Good morning, Grandpa," Daelyn chimed in that sweet voice. "How are you this morning?"

"Fine, Daelyn," Grandpa responded. "What are you doing up here so early?"

"I'm walking the dog for Daney since he had surgerwee," Daelyn explained. "What are YOU doing?"

"I'm looking through sales newspapers."

"For what?"

"Well, I'm trying to see if anyone has turkeys on sale."

"Turkeys? Let me think." Pause from Daelyn. Then, "Oh, yeah. I saw a commercial. Kroger's has turkeys on sale, Grandpa."

"Krogers? You say Krogers has turkeys on sale?" (When the story was repeated to me by Grandpa, he had a little hint of laughter in his voice at this point.)

"Yeah. Krogers. Oh, no. That's right. I'm sorry, Grandpa. It wasn't turkeys they have on sale. It was twisted hams."

No comments: