Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Little Confused

While eating lunch, Deanna and I were talking about how simple and humbly our neighbors live.

"Let's not talk about the neighbors anymore," Daelyn said.

"Why, son?"

"Well, isn't it GOSSIP?" he asked.

"No, dear," I explained. "Gossip is when you are talking about other people in a way that causes the listener to think badly or less of the person. Were we saying anything about Bud and Grace that made you feel bad about them?"

"NO!" Daelyn said very emphatically. Then, after a moment of silence, he added,

"I think bad thoughts about the Bad People off and off."

Deanna and I glanced at each other with raised eyebrows. (By the way, the "Bad People" are a family that live directly behind us, separated by an 8-ft. wooden fence. Their habits are quite questionable, and when I asked the local policeman about them, he said, "Oh. You mean the Crack House!" Thus, the Bad People.) Daelyn saw the look pass between us.

"Okay," he corrected. "Then, on and on."

This time, Deanna and I couldn't help ourselves. We snickered.

"Daelyn," I told him, "the saying is 'off and on', dear."

"Sor -r-r-y!" he responded, sounding irritated. "Sometimes I don't remember Nursery Rhymes!"

No comments: